Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help setting up a network ASAP.  (Read 4001 times)

jahuro

Topic Starter

Rookie

Need help setting up a network ASAP.
    « on: October 27, 2007, 01:37:24 AM »
    Hello. Ive got a desktop computer (windows xp) and my brother has a laptop (windows vista). I am wired our modem via ethernet. My brother is connect to the modem wirelessly. We can both access the internet but i want to be able to share files. I dont have any idea how to set up this network. Thanks people.

Sid

Apprentice
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Need help setting up a network ASAP.
      « Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 06:08:17 PM »
      Hello. Ive got a desktop computer (windows xp) and my brother has a laptop (windows vista). I am wired our modem via ethernet. My brother is connect to the modem wirelessly. We can both access the internet but i want to be able to share files. I dont have any idea how to set up this network. Thanks people.

I'm not sure with Vista, but sharing the XP files is rather easy.

If it's a folder, or drive: Just right click and select "Sharing and security".

Now, log onto the routers page (put the IP (like 192.168.1.2) in your web browser), and make sure the setting to allow communication through it is on.

As to accessing the Vista files from the XP machine...you'll need to wait for back up.

Hopefully I've helped.

jahuro

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 12:28:10 AM »
        I still dont understand how to setup my network. I tried the Sharing and security but i still cant find the folders on my brothers laptop.

Sid

Apprentice
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 03:56:21 PM »
          I still dont understand how to setup my network. I tried the Sharing and security but i still cant find the folders on my brothers laptop.

Is the router configured for wireless sharing?

I know mine has an option for "Wireless Isolation".

Also, have a look at your router configuration (put the Default Gateway address (looks like 198.168.2.2) in your web browser.)

You can find out your default gateway by:

Run (or windows key + r) -> (Type) cmd (Hit enter) -> (Type) ipconfig /all (hit enter)

Have you run the network wizard?

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
            • Experience: Expert
            I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!