Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The Dreaded No Signal  (Read 2420 times)

Windows

The Dreaded No Signal
« on: November 12, 2007, 03:22:05 PM »
Well I am running an Asus K8V-X motherboard.  2 512mb kingston ddr2 ram.. Windows xp home edition sp1.  And a 320g western digital hard drive. and a Ge force Fx 5200 Video card (or it is a 5300) i just recently changed it.

Here is my problem

Probably about 6 months ago, My computer out of the blue started acting up on me.  What it would do is it would boot, normally, to right after the Windows XP loading bar comes up, not the log in screen.  But what it would do is it would get to here then proceed to boot windows.  Then it would freeze on the desktop while loading startup.  I pressed my restart button, and every time i restarted it, it would get a little further in startup.  After about 10 restarts using the restart button on the front of my tower, it would eventually load fully and I would be fine for that session on the computer.

The first time this happened, it lasted about 2 days that I had to start the computer in this way.  The 3rd day I go to turn it on and Im greeted by this.  After i see my motherboard screen and all that, then windows loading bar.  My computer stopped loading, then I got a "No Signal" I tried different monitors and this was not the problem.  I proceeded in buying a new hard drive and then it was all fine... till now again.

Same symptoms this time as well.  I had to restart the computer 10+ times till windows totally loaded.  A few hours later I went to go turn on the computer, and again, right after the windows loading screen, I'm talking about the black one, before desktop were to have loaded up, I got the famous "No Signal" I'm almost positive it is yet again the hard drive.  What i did was I unplugged my hard drive and booted the computer, I got the no signal in the exact same spot.  I listened to the beeps the computer made on startup as well.

Now I'm wondering, as this is the second time this has happened to me, could it be something more than the hard drive?  Something internal, a video card, the motherboard?  Or should i just buy another hard drive and hope for the best.  Or is there a way I can fix this.  It almost sounds like the hard drive is not getting power, although it does heat up on startup.

I would appreciate any help, and I will answer your questions about my pc as I will be checking back on this topic frequently taking your advice.

Thanks in advance.

gamerx365

Adviser
  • Radda Radda!
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: The Dreaded No Signal
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »
DoUbLe PoSt!!!
dont do it bud  ;)

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 04:21:06 PM »
Yes, don't double post... It's pointless  ;D

Anyways, If you have a compatible known working GFX card, try swapping it with your current one and try booting up. It seems as though your GFX card is failing.

If this doesn't work then I would try your PSU next (again, swapping it with a known working PSU of equal or higher wattage) amd try booting up.

It could be the GFX card is failing or the PSU is about to die.

Post back with your findings  8)
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"

Windows

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 05:47:30 PM »
hmm. i unplugged the cd drives and put them back in... now when i press the power it wont go on at all.

GX44

Hopeful
  • Never Stood A Chance!
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2007, 02:50:37 AM »
Ok... why did you unplug the CD drives?

Have you checked all the other connections are still connected properly and haven't came loose or anything?
"Bob Loblaw's Law Blog"