Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: computer not working  (Read 2109 times)

Leerics

computer not working
« on: November 25, 2007, 08:24:56 PM »
My sister switched off the button on the power strip that powers my computer (hp xp) and when she turned the strip back on the computer would not turn on, the screen still was working and the light on the back of the computer was on but blinking off and on. We thought maybe it overheated and blew something so we unplugged it and used the same cords and power cord to plug in our older computer (hp 2000) and that was working and then just turned off suddenly and would not start, but still would power the screen like the first computer.

We thought maybe it was the power cord or the strip so we used a different power cord on both comps, and in different room and they would still not work. Then the screen also stopped working. We think maybe a power surge went through the cord and blew the first one (my hp xp), but also my hp 2000 (which we did not test till 2 days later)? does anyone maybe know what happened?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 09:12:43 PM by Leerics »

missmycompaq

Re: computer not working
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 08:35:59 PM »

That may have blown the power supply. If it did that will cost about $50.00 to $60.00 to buy the part and replace it yourself.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »
For security reasons, please remove your email address from your post.

Leerics

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 09:13:53 PM »

That may have blown the power supply. If it did that will cost about $50.00 to $60.00 to buy the part and replace it yourself.

umm what power supply? I dont usually deal with this sort of stuff so I need to know what part ect. sorry  :-\

missmycompaq

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:28:41 PM »
Well, the electric company did some work close to my house one day, and my lights went off for a few seconds, my computer was on, when the lights came back on my computer wouldn't turn on. The monitor worked, and the power light just blinked off and on. Any way, the power supply is in the back of the "tower" it should be inside the back where the plug plugs in. Its the part with the fan, and possibly a "glowing" light. in it. I am not sure what brand you have, but mine was a compaq. The power supply was a square box looking thing that was easy to remove, and replace. If you find out this is your problem, make sure the computer and monitor are unplugged before changing it. Hope this helps.