Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: pLEASE HELP WITH xp HOME E  (Read 1903 times)

DJMTURNER

pLEASE HELP WITH xp HOME E
« on: December 09, 2007, 02:38:26 PM »
Hi i have a laptop that has XP home edition installed ,
It has the verification sticker on the bottom of the lap top.
I had lots of problems with this lap top so wiped everything on it, then realised it didn't come with an installation disk to get Windows back on, i installed a Friends copy but now cant updates from Microsoft as its a copy,
How do i get the original version back on my laptop? it was already installed when i bought it....

sorry if this question has been asked before but i couldn't find it.

thank you.

elxr06

Re: pLEASE HELP WITH xp HOME E
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:48:06 PM »
1. what is brand of laptopo?

compaq and hp laptops have recovery partitions and upon booting you can access the recovery console that hp/conpaq has installed and restore computer so it has exactly same stuff as you saw when you loaded windows first time.

2. What version of windows xp home you installed? Student/Teacher copy? OEM copy? Maybe you try reinstalling the version of xp home edition for which you laptop comes with so you can apply your given key if there is any?

Sorry I use desktop computer but label on side of my computer has key used by manufacturer to install it so if I were to ever install xp home again, I simply get the version that accepts my key.

DJMTURNER

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 03:10:19 PM »
It's a Toshiba Satellite,
The original was XP home edition, the sticker has a product key code. and a Microsoft certificate of authenticity code.

The version i've put on i believe is Home edition also.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 06:14:05 AM »
You need to do the online activation process...if there are problems there is an 800 # on the registration page.

They are extremely helpful there and not the Evil Ogres everyone makes them out to be...

Activate XP
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "