Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: old game's menu openings freeze for 7 seconds on new computer  (Read 4732 times)

Karibdis

old game's menu openings freeze for 7 seconds on new computer
« on: January 06, 2008, 03:07:01 AM »
Hello, wondering if anyone can help me with a problem.

After a couple of years in dormancy, i decided to reinstall might and magic 9. I did that sucessfully, patched it and all that good stuff, but i find that when opening any kind of menu window within the game, that i have about a 7 second delay, due to a temporary freeze-up or lag. MM9 is a 2002 game, so it is somewhat old.

My computer is newer and i hadnt played it on this one before, and im wondering if anyone can tell me what about it is causing the problem on the older game. I have an intel core 2 duo cpu (the e6750), 4 gigs of pc6400 ram (only 3.25 gigs are recognized because i am using xp pro 32-bit os sp2), 2 internal sata drives (500 gig each), soundblaster xfi xtremgamer sound card, evga nvidia 8600 gts video card 512 megs, mb is gigabyte 965P-DS3, samsung esata dvd burner, and im using direct x9c, and no over clocking.

My current nvidia driver was 163.71, and i noticed there was a new one, so i installed that one, which is 169.21, and that one caused the delay to run up to about 20 to 25 seconds, so it caused even more delay by upgrading.

I went to a mm9 site and someone had similar problem, with someone suggesting using the 30.82 driver from around 2002. Well, i installed that, and when i tried to run the game i got an error, i believe it said mmix error. that occurred with 3 or 4 drivers that i tried from the 2002-2004 era. some of them wouldnt even let me install, got a message saying they are not compatible with my hardware. i tried about 6 or 7 drivers in all.

I then tried the xp compatibility thingy. i tried win 95, win 98, with and without the 256 color option, and then small screen option, and one other option that i dont recall atm, but none of that worked to get rid of the delay/freeze.

I ran a dxdiag and tested everything and it all tested fine, and for that matter, elder scrolls oblivion, which is quite new and graphic/cpu intensive,  ran fine on my new pc, even with 53 mods that i had installed.

Sorry for the long story but thats it, can anyone help? is it that the program cant handle a duo core cpu? or something about that new vid card? or maybe sata?