Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD Burner Installation Confusion  (Read 3787 times)

NeciFiX

DVD Burner Installation Confusion
« on: January 01, 2008, 08:27:37 PM »
I have a Samsung SH-S203 DVD burner I'm trying to put into a Dell Dimension 4600i. I open the case, first, I've never removed a CD Drive and I couldn't even take it out even though I got the screws out, apparently I'm supposed to pull it out the front but I have no idea how as the case doesn't come out, and, second, when looking at the new DVD Burner, it had two cables that come with it, the black ends fit PERFECTLY into the DVD burner, however, where do the ends that are supposed to be plugged into the computer go? It is SATA. I have no idea what to do. I tried some online guides but they did all but tell me the answer.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: DVD Burner Installation Confusion
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 11:07:50 PM »
You either have SATA port on your motherboard, or you'll have to get SATA to IDE adapter.
In any case, wait for some hardware guys for more advice.

quaxo

Guru
    • Yes
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »
Dell's guide to removing or installing drives in your model:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/parts.htm#1138667
Scroll through it to the section about removing the front face and replacing CD drives

Dell's diagram of system board components showing the location of your serial ATA headers on the board:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/techov.htm#1138947

Main page of the online service manual from Dell for your model for future reference:
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600/en/4600i/sm/index.htm

Please feel free to ask more questions if you feel confused or need help  ;D

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Experience: Experienced
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 11:56:05 PM »
In any case, wait for some hardware guys for more advice.
I told you...hehehe

ultimatum

Intermediate
    « Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:28:08 AM »
    wow quaxo you really went into details there. good job on the search.
    Its not what you know, its what you can do that counts!

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 05:00:19 AM »
      The cd drive should slide out the front if you unpluged everthing.  I wouldn't take out the cd drive just in case that the dvd drive ever fails.  But you can.  There are three connectors on that cable asumeing that the cd drive has one you dont need to use the cable unless it fails.  You can simply plug the drive on to the second connector.  Then connect the power  a small four pin female connector. If you already removed the cd drive look for a 40 pin connector on the motherboard which is the board everything plugs into.  The one end connects into it.  Then mount the drive and you should be able to use the drive.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 07:41:42 AM »
      The cd drive should slide out the front if you unpluged everthing.  I wouldn't take out the cd drive just in case that the dvd drive ever fails.  But you can.  There are three connectors on that cable asumeing that the cd drive has one you dont need to use the cable unless it fails.  You can simply plug the drive on to the second connector.  Then connect the power  a small four pin female connector. If you already removed the cd drive look for a 40 pin connector on the motherboard which is the board everything plugs into.  The one end connects into it.  Then mount the drive and you should be able to use the drive.

Please read the Posts before replying...it's a SATA drive. It will not use a 40 pin connection.

necifix, follow Quaxo's advice above....
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "