Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD cannot be defrag  (Read 2282 times)

coated_pill

HDD cannot be defrag
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:42:45 AM »
My Backup Drive E: Cannot be defrag by windows... Everytime i'll try to defrag the volume a pop up shows (see attachment pic chkdsk1.jpg) and when when i run the chkdsk in the command prompt another message appear (see attachment pic chkdsk2.jpg)

The thing is that everytime i open up my PC the checkdisk utility always run even before booting up to desktop eventhough i didn't skip the checking of drive previously.

And when i restart my PC.. the checkdisk utility is checking my Drive E: for errors eventhough i shut it down properly.

Hope for your response guys!

[file cleanup - saving space - attachment deleted by admin]

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HDD cannot be defrag
    « Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:51:36 AM »
    Assuming your running xp,  goto the control panel and look under scheduled tasks.  delete the task to run chkdsk.  try defrag again.

Alan <><  :D
    I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 09:55:46 AM »
    Or you can just choose Y in screenshot 2 and re-boot the machine and let it run...
    You have to be patient with utilities such as chkdsk and let them run til completion...interrupting the process can cause chaos.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
      Thanks for posting screen shots.  A picture is worth a thousand words!
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?