Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help i'm lost  (Read 7054 times)

yatabata

Re: help i'm lost
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 02:29:39 PM »
ya, cool I'm getting close now. I went to computer management after resetting everything and it shows the new hardware or kinda. First row it shows Disk 0 with the old hard drive 4.88 Gb on C drive Fat 32 as a heathy system. Row 2 shows Disk 1 unknown 111.79Gb not initialized or unallocated which I take it thats what your talking about as far as set up. Row 3 shows the cdrom 0 in D drive and states no media? whatever that means if anything. So if alls o.k. I will follow your directions in the last post and see what happens. By the way this computer has 233 Mhz. Can or is there a way to boost that up a bit like over 3 hundred? I would like to run Home Studio 2004 on it. thanks

computerman

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 11:27:17 AM »
you need to hook the blue to the mother board and the black one gose to the new hard drive black is for the
master drive  the gray is for the slave drive like your cd rom drive

yatabata

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2005, 07:40:17 PM »
 o.k. heres the deal. I disconected the old hard drive and set new hard drive to master and cdrom to master and the blue flat connector to mother board, mid to new hard drive and the other end to cdrom. rebooted with ezinstall floopy in a drive with bios set to boot removable disk a drive ran it. At fist it didn't go until i got the shunt in the right slot on the new hard drive. Got that done and bingo it partitioned but when that was completed it said it needed to be formated. on the ezinstall it has a format for c hit that and it says write protect error writing drive a? abort, retry, fail.  I pulled up the partition info just to see if the 120 Gb hard drive partitioned and this is what it says. ntotal disk space 8056 Mbites partition C 1 status A pri dos system unknown. so got suggestions?

yatabata

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 07:27:20 PM »
wow the on going sage continues. Anyway talked to my friend at work and said to run the fdisk again or just put in the o/s since I partitioned the new hard drive and s/b be all. So got home and first of all put in the xp window pro to put on the o/s No go then put the fdisk called ezinstall and went o utilities and found that the western digital 120 is disk 0 and not disk 1. how do I switch this around from the cdrom and the new hard drive?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 10:23:33 PM »
    yatabata.......Probably the reason your Win XP Pro wont load is it's an upgrade and you must have another M/S operating system installed first........then the upgrade will look at what you have installed and then if its upgradeable you will be able to load it ...........

let us know how you make out .

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 10:24:21 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

yatabata

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 03:52:27 AM »
    o.k. the i do have the original 95 start up floopys. will try that first then and upgrade from there then. thanks

yatabata

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 07:15:55 PM »
    i put in the restore to 95 floppy and it formatted the hard drive. but I have a bunch more floppys for 95 so guess I will have to load those 2.

yatabata

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2005, 06:09:57 PM »
    SUCCESS!!!  :D Well after reading over many things including both forums and talking to a guy at work I was bound and determind to figure out how to get my new hard drive on my old computer. First of all I decided to go with windows xp which was on the old hard drive and hook up the old flat cable to that. when reading the western digital instructions it said to set that as master. I found to different shunts but one sideways and the other up and down if you have the computer laying on its side to work on it. I took out the one and set it to master setting. I didn't see that the first time around. Then hooked up the one end to the primary position on the mother board and the mid to the new hard drive which I set to primary slave and the other end to the old hard drive. set the new hard drive to slave. Then the other flat cable put in the secordary slot on the mother board and the other end to the cdrom which was set to master which was confussing because instead of 10 pin it only has 8 so just used the 3rd set of pins for the shunt farthest away from the 4 pin connector. Another problem hooking up the flat cables I found was one of the connectors on the old flat cable didn't have a key. so I had to make sure the red line was indeed hook up in the right direction on the old hard drive. Don't think I had it right the first time around. Next when pulling up the computer booting up I could see that I had the old hard drive up on disk 0 and new hard drive on disk1 and the cdrom was there too. Next I pulled up my computer and it showed cdrive, adrive, ddrive and a edrive. cool now by following the western digital directions it said for new hard drives with old computers to shunt not only the master pins but the next 2 by it also. o.k. had the extra shunt from the old hard drive I took out and put it on the new hard drive. shut it off and put in the w/d c.d. It came up but didn't do anything again. read the instructions and it said I needed to make a boot disk on the a drive first. so did that and put that in but nothing?? ??? I got lucky on my next move. duh? I put in the c.d. and the floppy together and bingo downloaded the new hard drive as slave on the edrive. after rebooting computer went to my computer again using the windows xp and run the cursor over the cdrive and shows the old hard drive disk space 5.1 and ran it over the new e drive and bingo again 111.1 Gbs of disk space SUCCESS!!! I hope this will help anyone who want to add a hard drive to the one they have. Now my next mission is to upgrade my mother board to a higher Mhz.  ;D