Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Service Pack 3 Download Win XP Pro (Should go under Windows XP)  (Read 4329 times)

OOPS

Service Pack 3 Download Win XP Pro (Should go under Windows XP)
« on: January 14, 2008, 01:31:42 PM »
Well … I did it again! I downloaded SP 3 without thinking and cannot boot in any mode or via CD.

I am running Windows XP Pro on an Intel Pentium IV (2.4 GHz, 512 KB Cache & 800 MHz)
I use an ABIT IS7 and 1 GB RAM.
My hard drive is a Western Digital WD360GD 36 GB SATA w/ * MB cache.
I have Pioneer (DVD-120T) 16X DVD ROM & (DVR-106) 4X Write, 2.4X Rewrite, 16X Write & 10X Rewrite) Drives.
My system would not boot hanging up on Select boot mode and then looping back to this same point regardless of the mode selected.
I reprogrammed the BIOS to boot from the Pioneer drives and they each got to loading the MS Windows then stalled at some loading DLL files.
Microsoft, India finally threw in the towel and suggested that I contact a competent source at home.
This is what I'm doing.
Since all my programs and data are in a single partition on the hard drive I may have to loose the data … no biggie.
It has been my intention to procure an additional hard drive, say 500 GB or do.
Should I:
1.   Install a new HD and temporarily disconnect the original and try loading the OP system on the new one?
2.   Acquire a repair disk from Microsoft?
3.   Or?

Your help will be appreciated,
Phil

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Service Pack 3 Download Win XP Pro (Should go under Windows XP)
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 03:53:03 PM »
Did you download SP3 through a bit torent? It is likely that the copy you got is corrupt or you may have hit a bug in the code. I personally avoided SP3 on the web, since as soon as it was leaked out in July, MS shut of the leak, and there may be reasons for why they are not ready to release it,and you hit one of those reasons.

Looks like you are going to be looking at a rebuild...

You could try an emergency repair floppy from another system of XP Pro, but this could cause even more problems than when you started.

If you have important data on the hard drive, I would install a new or used HD and install the OS to it, then reintoduce the original hard drive as a slave to get your data.

OOPS

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:32:58 AM »
Dave,

I downloaded from Microsoft's website "downloads" thinking that it was a released version. It completed and rebooted my computer thereby causing my problems.

I have a new HD and will try your suggestion.

Thank you,

Phil

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 08:23:54 AM »
After following Dave's advice...which is the best solution (dis-connecting the old drive first is highly recommended)...and the old drive is connected as Slave you can use XP's File and Settings transfer wizard to get your old settings back from the original XP install...
Dis-connecting the old drive for this is highly recommended...

This is also a great time to start seriously considering a solid backup strategy...if you need any suggestions Post back.

P.S. SP # 3 is still in BETA...wait for the final release.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kenw

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 02:11:32 PM »
Or the alternative is to go to your hard drive makers website and download the tools for your drive and flatten it that way. I know with western digital Data Lifeguard you can get the bootable CD for DOS and your computer will launch it before you go into windows and you can zero your drive out.

Hope that helps

OOPS

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 08:04:03 AM »
Thanks to Dave, Patio and KenW!

After installinga new HD, disconnected the old HD, reprogrammed my BIOS and rasing the thermal parameters I was successful in loading MS Windows XP Pro and partitioned the new 500 Gb HD.

Phil (OOPS)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 09:11:53 AM »
Nicely Done...seeya around.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "