Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: WinXP CD Keys  (Read 4336 times)

Zygmo

WinXP CD Keys
« on: January 18, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
I need some help!  I have a Toshiba Laptop with a legal XP Home OS.  As usual, it only came with a Restore CD, that reloads the ton of programs I don't need. Obviously, using the Add/Remove program in Device Manager leaves much stuff I don't want, and bits and pieces of the stuff it says it removes. I have tried to use nLite to make a usable bare copy of XPHome, but that won't work.
I also have a standard boxed XPHome set that has not been used. I would like to be able to keep that Key for another computer. My question is...does anyone know a way to use the boxed CD with my Laptop's Key? I have tried it, but it will not accept the Laptop key, insisting on the boxed installation key.  Can the CD be used with the boxed key, and then changed after installation, so that when I contact Microsoft, it will show the Laptop key, while leaving the original key usable?  Thank you.  Zygmo

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: WinXP CD Keys
    « Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 10:05:05 AM »
    I'm sorry but I don't believe that is possible.
    Cd-keys are version specific. The restore disc uses an OEM cd-key while the boxed version uses a retail cd-key. OEM keys don't work for retail versions of XP and vice versa.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »
    No, it isn't possible...Deerpark is correct.
    Contact Toshiba for the procedure to create a bootable install CD that is on a hidden partition on the laptop.

They will provide the instructions.
    If not you can request a CD from them and there should only be a small shipping charge...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Zygmo

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
    Ok. Thanks.  There was no hidden partition on this laptop....the restore disc has everything on it. (except the capability to install a barebones XPHome, of course)  Also, I was told by the salesman that if I ever formatted the HD, my warranty would be voided, which is kind of funny because the restore CD itself formats the HD. So, what I did was purchased another HD, and kept the original one untouched, just in case. The warranty just expired, but I had formatted a few times with no problems...have had XP Pro, several versions of Linux, and a couple of dual boot XP/Linux installations.
        By the way, my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L-25 S121. The Mandriva One 2008 Linux installs and works great. This linux version has 3D desktops, and if you set up a dual boot system with WinXP, it reads and writes to NTFS partitions perfectly. All hardware is recognized, and the wireless networking sets up and works automatically.
        Thanks again for the responses to my question.