Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Problem installing CPU Fan  (Read 4540 times)

Cryptic

Problem installing CPU Fan
« on: January 23, 2008, 11:46:34 AM »
Alright, I just bought a new computer case (APEVIA X-Navigator ATXA8NW-SS) and also a new motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX)

I've installed just about everything but as I installed the motherboard, lights, fans etc, I noticed that there were no screw holes for the CPU Fan, just holes in the motherboard but it leads to plain metal under the motherboard.

How do I go about installing it now? Can I use plastic cuffs temporarily until I get equipment for a permanent fix? What other temporary solutions are recommended?

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Problem installing CPU Fan
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 01:14:39 PM »
    Heatsinks are usually not held in place with screws. What was included with the heatsink when you bought it?
    just holes in the motherboard but it leads to plain metal under the motherboard.
    As far as I can see from images of the board there are four holes around the CPU socket you're supposed to use for holding the heatsink in place. (as seen in the 3rd picture here.)
    Why can't you use those?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Cryptic

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »
    Heatsinks are usually not held in place with screws. What was included with the heatsink when you bought it?
    just holes in the motherboard but it leads to plain metal under the motherboard.
    As far as I can see from images of the board there are four holes around the CPU socket you're supposed to use for holding the heatsink in place. (as seen in the 3rd picture here.)
    Why can't you use those?
    I had one come with my Q6600 processor but gave it away because the one I have now is better, it came out of my current PC that I bought about a year ago. It has 4 screws (one on each corner) to screw into the computer case.

Yes there are those holes but they lead to the metal under the motherboard (which belongs to the computer case) - as in no where to secure the heatsink, it would just go into the holes with nothing to keep it there..

homer

Expert
      « Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
      the one I have now is better, it came out of my current PC that I bought about a year ago.

the computer that you removed the heatsink from, does it, by chance, have an AMD CPU?

also, the make/model of the CPU heatsink would be helpful.

Cryptic

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:42:14 PM »
      No it also had Intel 775 - the motherboard doesn't support multi-core processors though..

And the heatsink is installed on the pc I'm using right now but it's very alike to this one except a bit bigger:

homer

Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »
        there should be a back plate behind the motherboard that the CPU heatsink screws into. you will need to remove your motherboard from your comp to retrieve it.

Cryptic

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2008, 05:04:24 PM »
        Yes I know, I can see the case through the holes on the motherboard but there are no holes for the screws on the case itself.

I can see this part of the case through the small hole, it's plain metal though, no holes for screws.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/4787/casets6.png

Will I have to drill my own or something?

Deerpark

Egghead
          « Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 05:18:34 PM »
          If the metal backplate of the case is directly behind those holes then I don't think you have installed the motherboard correctly. The motherboard should be installed on risers screwed into the back plate of the case. You use risers to create a gap between the backplate and the motherboard. Failure to do so will short circuit the MB if you power it on.
          This picture shows some of the typical risers.

FYI. the backplate Homer mentions is not the one in the case. It is a backplate you install on the backside of the MB to secure the heatsink on. Like this one.
          Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Cryptic

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 07:08:49 PM »
          Nono I did install it correctly, it is raised. I just mean if you look through the holes, you see the case metal. Is that plate meant to come with the motherboard? I didn't get it with any of my new hardware..

homer

Expert
            « Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
            Nono I did install it correctly, it is raised. I just mean if you look through the holes, you see the case metal. Is that plate meant to come with the motherboard? I didn't get it with any of my new hardware..

*sigh* the computer with your coolermaster heatsink most likely has a back plate on it, just like the one deerpark showed in the picture. you will need to remove your motherboard to retrieve it. then you place the backplate on your new motherboard and screw the heatsink onto it.

Cryptic

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 07:21:45 PM »
            ooo

might have forgotten about that one, thanks!