Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Amount of Gigabytes up/downloaded from server  (Read 2618 times)

Bert

Topic Starter

Amount of Gigabytes up/downloaded from server
    « on: January 23, 2008, 06:14:29 AM »
    Hi there.
    I am very new to broadband. When I was on dial-up I could see in the bottom right hand corner under status the up and down load amount I do have for that particular session, also the speed as well.
    But since going onto ADSL (broadband), I have no indication whatsoever of this.I like to keep track of the data though.
    Any useful tips or free utility in this regards would be welcome..
    My Computer is Windows XP, Svce pack 2,

Your help would be appreciated

Bert

socrates

Apprentice

• I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Amount of Gigabytes up/downloaded from server
    « Reply #1 on: January 23, 2008, 12:49:38 PM »
    Windows XP does the same thing for broadband, but you may not notice the icon in the bottom right hand corner. 

GO to Start --> Control Panel (or settings --> Control panel, depending on how your menu is setup), then go to network connections.  Once there, right click on Local area connection, and click on Properties.  At the bottom is a checkbox that says "Show icon in notification area when connected."  Check that.

Once you have that checked you will see the icon in the bottom right, and you can just double click on it to see the activity.  Windows shows it as packets rather than kb's or mb's, but it does say how many packets are sent and received. 

If you don't like that, do a google search for something like "freeware network activity monitor"