Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video / gaming problem, monitor or card??  (Read 2778 times)

tyste

Topic Starter

Starter

Video / gaming problem, monitor or card??
    « on: March 10, 2008, 01:56:54 PM »
    Hi guy's, my first post here, unfortunately its not a good one!!!

Basically, I have formatted the pc that i am currently reduced to using after my better pc being stolen!!!

Okay, I've formatted and installed all the newest drivers etc. Now, when I play the most lowest of specification needed games, the games freeze on screen, then move for literally a second, then freeze again. Resulting in me having to reboot. Now, this has happened on some really basic games.

I downloaded a little crappy low-graphic game called GUNNER 2, and it did the above.

I then downloaded America's Army (Yes i know, not the lowest of specification games) And the game started, I could see the weapon and scenery, I could hear the dude talking in-game on the rifle range, but the video was freezing and moving for a second, then freezing. The system could obviously take this, as I have previously played HL2 and Doom 3 on it.

Any idea's??

If needed, I'll post up a spec of the machine, but basically, its a dell dimension 4600. Yes I know, Dell, but its all previously worked so...

Cheer's guy's,

Steve

homer

Expert
      Re: Video / gaming problem, monitor or card??
      « Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »
      specs are needed.

tyste

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »
        P4 2.8 ghz
        GForce FX5200
        768mb ram
        120gig HDD
        windows xp SP2.

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:01 PM »
          it might be overheating, i would clean out the heatsink and fan on the GPU and also on the CPU.

tyste

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 04:20:14 PM »
            Have done that already, side of the case is off now with a desktop fan running next to it also... still does the same thing. Could it be anything else?

fpsmitch

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 08:51:24 AM »
              you could also try and get your hands on another card. try your card in another computer.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »
              Dell's like only Dell drivers for some reason...if you have any aftermarket drivers installed this could be the issue...
              Travel to Dell's site and enter your service tag # and it will list all the correct drivers for that machine.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "