Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: XP pro wont upgrade service packs  (Read 2375 times)

Osmium

XP pro wont upgrade service packs
« on: February 27, 2008, 11:47:03 AM »
I'm new to these forums, So I'm gonna start by saying hello and sorry If this kind of topic was posted elsewhere on this site, I did search around for a few minutes but found nothing that could apply to my situation. 
I was given a computer for Xmas, and it crashed. I lost alot of programs,such as Nero and powerdvd, But i reinstalled windows from my XP pro SP1a disk.  I am still in the process of trying to rebuild the system, but some programs such as iTunes says I need SP2.  no problem, I downloaded SP3, but as soon as I install it the computer loads Bios and wont load windows, just keeps restarting.  last known config, normal, safe mode, none of them have any effect. in order to get windows back, I am forced to do a repair install and suddenly stuck with SP1a again.  I know this computer doesn't have any virus' because before I put it on line I DL'd AVG, firefox and installed Nvidia firewall from my USB HDD.

My system specs-
Asus A8n32 sli mobo
535W psu
2 gig G-skill ram pc3200
Hitachi deskstar IDE 170G as C drive
2 western digi 250 caviar sata's, 16mb buffer
western digi 250 external usb HDD
2 Asus nvidia 7800gtx in sli
toshiba dvd-rw+ lightscribe on IDE
proview 22" LCD

TheEmperor

Intermediate

Re: XP pro wont upgrade service packs
    « Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 12:07:59 PM »
    Don't install Service Pack 3.
    Run Windows Update, download all of the available updates, that should get you Service Pack 2. Run windows update again to get the updates to that. Service Pack 3 is not officially released yet.
    The Emperor
    Ruling over Technology since 1998
    www.TechEmperor.com