Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ram installation problems  (Read 2765 times)

mikefollett

Ram installation problems
« on: February 11, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »
Currently I am using a Compaq Presario M2000. It came with a 256 meg ram card installed and I installed 512mb card over a year ago. It shows 638 mb of ram in the system properties leading me to believe it was only a 128 card, although it still is labeled 256. anyway thats not my problem. Everywhere i checked it says the computer can handle two 512mb chips . I bought another 512 mb piece of ram and installed it inplace of the original 256 to give myself two 512 mb pieces.
when i turn on the pc i get two loud pc beeps and a black screen. I tried numerous combinations but the only way i can get the system to work is with the 256 card in slot 1 and either of the two 512mb cards in slot two. they both work in slot two but neither work in slot one. whats going on?? I really need more ram to run programs which I use for drafting, and a new pc is out of the question, money is tight. Anyone know whats goin on??

Sid

Apprentice
    • Experience: Experienced

mikefollett

Re: Ram installation problems
    « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »
    tried some things on the link but nothing seems to work. the thing is both 512s work in port number 2 when they are interchanged, so I know both cards are properly functioning. But as soon as I remove that 256 from port 1, I install either of the 512s and when I power up I get two beeps and a blank screen.

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 07:26:37 PM »
    Is it correct type of RAM? Where did you get it from?

mikefollett

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 07:28:04 PM »
    Its the same type of ram with all the specs of the 256 in slot 1. the 512s work fine in slot 2 which is what confuses the *censored* out of me. I bought it online so returning it is basically out of the question.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 01:49:29 PM »
    Have you tried using only 1 512 in Slot1 and seeing if it will boot properly ? ?
    Double-checked the BIOS settings for RAM setups ? ?
    Use a can of compressed air to blow out the RAM slots in case there's some dust in there ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "