Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

What happenned? can it be fixed??

What happenned?
2 (100%)
can it be fixed??
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: HP Recovery system changed extra partition to local and wrote over files  (Read 2395 times)

yngwie

I have a compaq presario laptop. I have the C: partition (local drive), and an F: partition that i have created for my data files.

I had to use the built in recovery system.  I made sure to choose the non destructive option.

However, afterwards, my F: drive's name changed to "local drive" and all the files on F: drive were changed into the files from C: (including system drives). none of my datafiles on the desktop or my documents were changed.
Does any one of you know what might have happened? and do u know if it can be fixed, and if yes how? Please i really need help, I lost some really important data :(
Thanks a lot.
Fatima

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HP Recovery system changed extra partition to local and wrote over files
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 10:11:31 AM »
In some laptop recovery procedures there is an option to save the existing installation...sounds like this was chosen.
Unfortunately since it used the F: partition it sounds like your Data was overwritten...
Sorry.
The only thing you can try is searching for some of the files by name if you know the names of a few...but their probably gone.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "