Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Visual programming  (Read 3456 times)

zaryk

Visual programming
« on: March 24, 2008, 07:34:07 AM »
I want to create a program that doesn't require anything to actually run.  For example: visual C#, visual C++, and visual basic ( i believe, haven't worked with VB) all require .net framework to run your program.  Distributing .Net Framework redistributable (22 mb) to those who do not have it, and/or dont have the connection speed is quite pointless unless distributing it on a cd.  I can't help to notice that many programs, like antivirus, instant messengers and everyday programs do not require you to have something installed on the computer.  This may be the case because what it requires is already on there?  What programming language would I be looking for, if any?  Or how do I make my programs require a later version of .net Framework? thanks.

Deerpark

Egghead
    Re: Visual programming
    « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 08:20:57 AM »
    This is a question of what APIs you choose to use.
    Software developed in the .NET framework (such as visual C# and so on) rely on the .NET APIs and therefore these must be installed in order for the software to work.

If you want your software to work without having to "install anything" you have to use the native Windows APIs and write your own code for everything Windows does not supply natively (which is quite a lot).
    As a programmer you're actually extremely spoiled when developing in frameworks such as .NET or Java.
    C++ would probably be the most obvious choice if you want to develop directly on top of the Windows API.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_API
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

zaryk

Re: Visual programming
    « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
    Thanks for the reply.  That was a lot help.