Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Newbie on Win 98  (Read 3114 times)

palinuro

Newbie on Win 98
« on: April 22, 2004, 08:21:35 AM »
My OS ( win98 ) seems to have been corrupted. I can't access safe mode but with some help have been able to access something called BIOS and altered the boot sequence to start from my win98 cd in order to re install it, BUT I can't be sure if it will overwrite my files.

Can someone advise if I can re install win98  to  a new directory ( say eg newwin/ )   and then happily recover my files.

Does this make sense.?
I have Viglen P3 450 PC and tried ringing helpline.....always engaged.
I looked on CHope........says something garbled about installing from manufacturers cdrom but this looks like Microsoft version to me.

Any help much appreciated.
MR

Joleen

Re: Newbie on Win 98
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 08:29:55 AM »
You'll have 2 options when reinstalling.  One.. format the C: drive (you'll lose all your data).  Two.. reinstall W98 over the previous copy and hope you don't lose all your data.

MetalMilitia

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 02:29:28 PM »
If you decide to overwrite you existing windows you shouldnt use the same username or it will overwrite your files, if you use a different one there will still be a folder in your 'users' folder (in XP not sure about 98) that has your my documents ect in.
Once you have reintalled windows none of your programs will be on the start menu so you need to reinstall them all.
The best way to do it is to overwrite you windows then backup  the files you want to keep and then format the harddrive and install windows clean, as this can help avoid problems caused my directly overwriteing windows.

hope you fix it

tinmanjohnny

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 02:57:37 PM »
http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111652,pg,1,00.asp .Excellent article on how to clean install any Winx or Win2k system without losing prefs. and most of the programs. Create a new file on C.named "oldstuff",copy files from Windows like,Favorites,Profiles,Desktop, etc. and using the start=up disc,command from DOS to delete the WIN OS and reinstall along with your saved folder,. Tried it and it works. Just have to reinstall drivers,refetch updates from Microsoft.

merlin

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »
« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 03:14:31 PM by merlin »