Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Limewire must die (Blocking it on a wgr614v6)  (Read 3519 times)

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Limewire must die (Blocking it on a wgr614v6)
    « on: March 06, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »
    After pulling my hair out for months trying to figure out why my internet was wonky, I discovered that my unscrupulous roommates are constantly downloading 200+ gigabytes of pirated material off of limewire at any given time. This is a cause to be lamented, as I cannot even browse the internet very well when they are pirating.

Despite requesting that they not use it, or at least use it when nobody is awake/around, the problem persists. The time has come to end it, once and for all.

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done. I tried blocking the limewire/gnutella ports, but they automatically search for an open port when this happens. As a result, none of my port closing has been effective. I am curious what other options are out there to stop limewire.

Helpful Facts:

* I am in control of the wgr614v6 router, so I can make any changes there that I need.
    * I have no 3rd party firewall software.
    *The most complicated thing I have pulled off computer wise is flashing my bios, so I am pretty confident I can due even intricate things given proper instruction.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Limewire must die (Blocking it on a wgr614v6)
    « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »
    Why not to uninstall limewire, put a password on your computer, or...many options...

Jaegan

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »
      There are four of us in the apartment, and each one of us has our own separate computer. I do not have limewire on my computer. The challenge it is blocking it on theirs when I only have access to the modem and router.

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:08:51 PM »
      If it's your router, and you pay for the service, if you look at your router manual: http://kbserver.netgear.com/pdf/wgr614v6_ref_man_20Apr05.pdf, you have couple of options (chapter 4-4, and 4-5): you can either block selected/range of ports used by Limewire, or under “Filter Services For”, you can block the specified service for a single computer, a range of computers (having consecutive IP addresses), or all computers on your network.