Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How change OS? Like to switch from ME to XP (search was overwhelming)  (Read 2111 times)

justin caise

Topic Starter

Beginner

I had some trouble searching on this question. It may just be that I'm not using the right terms for my search but words like OS and ME and XP all give enormous amounts of results... so I'll ask directly.
    I'm running Windows ME. Don't pity me yet, the machine was a gift and the ME came with it. I'm very happy with the Outlook 2000 which is on the machine and I'd like to keep that as well as maybe some other programs. Is that possible when changing the operating system? Or would I need the program disk to be able to install it? As I said it was gifted to me, but without the disks and permissions", or whatever.

How does one change the OS anyway?

And how do I find if my hardware will run the new OS?
    Greatful for any advice, clues, links, etc.

Justin Caise
    "The worst thing you can die with is potential." Henry Cloud

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How change OS? Like to switch from ME to XP (search was overwhelming)
    « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:12:45 AM »
    You need to post your computer specs: processor speed, amount of RAM, hard drive size/free space

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How change OS? Like to switch from ME to XP (search was overwhelming)
    « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 11:19:36 AM »
    Outlook is part of Windows so that's covered...
    However any other programs you have that are not will be wiped out with a brand new OS (operating system ) installation.
    If you are installing XP on that machine you would simply need to backup any data you want saved such as text files, emails if needed, address book, pictures etc.
    Then you simply set the machine to boot from the CD first and boot to the XP CD. Instruct it to wipe out the existing partition and re-create it and continue with the XP installation.
    To check on XP drivers you can download and install Everest Home (Free ) and run a report and save it to file.
    This report will tell you exactly what hardware you will need XP drivers for...
    You can visit the manuf. site for all these and or post the Computer Summary portion of the report here and we can assist tracking down the needed drivers.
    Best of Luck and Welcome to CH !
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "