Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MP on a ausu m2npv-vm?  (Read 3030 times)

badomen6969

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

MP on a ausu m2npv-vm?
    « on: March 11, 2008, 05:49:16 PM »
    Hey guys i ran Sandra on my PC and it came up with a interesting suggestion for increased performance...

"Tip T2532 - The MP system supports more CPUs than installed. Generally in order to use such a board to its full potential all CPUs should be installed.

Fix: Add more CPUs up to the maximum. You may need to upgrade the BIOS, the OS kernel, device drivers and various settings to take advantage of the new CPUs. Make sure they are all utilised by the system after installation."

And

"Warning W2540 - No APIC has been detected for this MP system. All modern MP systems should contain an APIC; some advanced single-CPU systems may also contain one.

Fix: Check BIOS settings and enable the APIC."

As i said, i'm using a M2NPV-VM witch only has one CPU slot...i am using a AMD duel core chip, on xp pro so im kind of worried i have it set up wrong now and at worst its ignoring one core :(

Any help or tips? i see nothing in my bios about a APIC option

homer

Expert
      Re: MP on a ausu m2npv-vm?
      « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
      click start > run > type "devmgmt.msc" without the quotes > hit the + sign on the left hand side of "Processors". you should see two identical processors.

badomen6969

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »
        Yeah device manager can see them but whats i want to know is about the MP and APIC stuff

Windows can see my 4gig ram, doesn't mean its using it right >.<

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
          i have no idea what an APIC is, but your comp is using both cores.

as for your 4gigs, windows will not see all 4 gigs of RAM unless you have a 64bit version of windows. you should expect to see 3gb-3.25gb's of RAM being recognized in a 32bit version of windows.

badomen6969

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:02:08 PM »
            Yeah thats what i was getting at  ;D

APIC is advanced programmable interrupt controller or something like that..after updating my bios and looking in every nook and cranny it seems it is enabled...must just be Sandra bugging out

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 07:22:17 PM »
            ACPI.

Sandra is known to mis-report certain setups...
            Still a fine utility but don't take everything as Gospel.
            Belarc Advisor is guilty of this as well....
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

badomen6969

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:27:38 PM »
              yeah apparently :(

BTW it is APIC not APCI (Advanced Configuration Power Interface)

I knew some single core CPU's can support APIC but every multi core needs it as a way to send interrupts to multiple cores to simulate simultaneous processing(hence why i was worried). ACPI is to do with power allocation etc