Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: One more time... IE STILL won't open from icon  (Read 4013 times)

DJ

One more time... IE STILL won't open from icon
« on: January 24, 2005, 08:51:19 AM »
Hi everyone,

I am going to try to bring this up one more time...

Since about two weeks ago now, I can not bring up IE using icons on my desktop. The only way I can get it to come up is to go to my desktop and right click on "My network Places", then go down to "explore". When the list in the folder comes up, I can double click on IE there and it will come up. This tells me my program is not corrupt (which, by the way, I have uninstalled and reinstalled at least 3 times trying to fix this problem). When I double click on the icon on the desktop, it makes the sound as if the program is opening, then it immediately makes the sound like it is shutting down. Nothing ever pops up or anything. It just immediately tries to open, then immediately closes.

I have done every scan that I have seen everyone suggest to check for hijackers, trojans, viruses, etc., etc.

I have also done all the checks on my system settings as people have suggested in my previous posts. Everything has been set the way you all have told me to set it.

I have Windows 2000 Professional. I have not installed anything onto my computer in the last few months - so I know this is not a result of any new installation. Actually I have done nothing different than usual. All of a sudden it did this!

The reason I am grasping for a solution again is because in the past 5 days or so (since I posted my first post on this site), I have had over 10 people e-mail me privately saying that they too have recently had this problem with not being able to open IE from their icon. So something is going on! I searched the microsoft site as recent as last Friday to see if I could find an announcement about this problem. I didn't find anything.

Also, I do not know if this will help - but if I open more than one IE window, I can not go back and forth from window to window from the toolbar icons. I have to minimize each window and then I can pick whichever window I want to maximize. It is all too time consuming and frustrating!

So all that to say that I am still looking for help from you guys and gals that are brilliant at figuring thses issues out. Like I said before, I am by no means even close to an expert when it comes to computers. But I can follow directions if anyone has any more ideas. I would GREATLY appreciate it!

DJ

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: One more time... IE STILL won't open from icon
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 01:18:10 PM »
Have you contacted your computer manufacturer about this issue?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

DJ

Re: One more time... IE STILL won't open from icon
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 03:20:04 AM »
No, haven't contacted the manufacturer. I wouldn't think that would be the answer since this computer is at least 3 years old and has worked fine up until now. Plus, I continue to get e-mails privately from others saying they are recently having this same problem as well. So I would think this has to be some sort of "infection".

DJ :-/