Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Network Cable Unplugged??  (Read 3008 times)

tigerpilot

Network Cable Unplugged??
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »
Hi:
I have a Presario Notebook 2100US.  XP Pro.  When I plug in a router cable I get this blinking message in the tool bar area (network cable unplugged).  I know the cable and router connection are good. Also, there are no 'question marks' in device manager. The internet works fine with a PCMCIA wireless card but I would like to have the Cat 5 connection working so I can have the PCMCIA available.  Can't seem to find any help on the HP site.
Thanks, Don

TheEmperor

Intermediate

Re: Network Cable Unplugged??
    « Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:55:53 AM »
    You say you KNOW the cable is good? Well, do you have a PCMCIA ethernet card you can try to see if that works?
    If it does, then you can try removing and reinstalling the drivers for your onboard card and see if that solves the issue.  If that doesn't do it you might have a faulty onboard NIC. Have you ever had the laptop connected via the NIC anywhere else? Do you know the NIC is good?
    The Emperor
    Ruling over Technology since 1998
    www.TechEmperor.com

grouchy

Re: Network Cable Unplugged??
    « Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 04:17:43 PM »
    I've been getting the same message on my Dell 8300 desktop. I've been in contact w/Dell and my DSL provider. They keep pointing the blame finger at each other. I've replaced the cable, tried different ports, etc. Needless to say I'm still seeing the same message. I just returned from buying a wireless USB adapter hoping that if a get rid of the CAT5 cable the message will stop.
    I'm pretty much flying by the sit of my pants...and suggestions/comments would be appreciated