Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Networking Question  (Read 3431 times)

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

Networking Question
    « on: February 05, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »
    Hi To Everyone,

Networking /router /IP Address question.

Three computers in our house.  All three use Windows 7 Home Premium.

We began with one desktop connected to a cable modem.  Everything worked as it should.

Some time later we set up a laptop in the next room.  We bought a NETGEAR Router, installed it and both computers worked fine.

Sometime after that we bought a third computer and  placed it upstairs in our house.  The signal from the router to this third computer covering that distance upstairs was very weak.

We then bought a NETGEAR Universal WIFI Range Extender to pick up the router signal and boost it upstairs.  It is installed correctly 1/2 way between the router and the upstairs computer.

All 3 computers now have a strong signal from the router and range extender and easily and quickly connect to the internet.  They are all password protected and secure.  I will call the home connection we have now as X and the other two computers link up through X_EXT.

With that background, here is the question.  Once in awhile we will get a message that says:

"Windows has detected an IP address conflict .
      Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer.  More details available in the Windows System event   
      log."

I am not sure what to do with this message, if anything or where  the Windows System event log is even located?   Is that something I want to start messing with on my own?  Aside from this message all 3 computers are working fine with good connections.

Thanks,

beachguy

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Networking Question
    « Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
    Disable WiFi on the router & use only the WiFi on the range extender.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:57 PM »
      I am under the assumption (from the instructions that came with the WIFI Range Extender) that the extender simply picks up a signal from the router.  If I disable the router what signal is the extender picking up?  And by disable the wifi on the router do you mean to unplug the router from the computer or modem?  As you can see, I am not really clear on what or why you want me to try this. Sorry.

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 06:59:56 AM »
      Windows has detected an IP address conflict
      If the problem is persistent, you might wanna try running from cmd prompt : ipconfig/release then ipconfig/renew from the computer showing the IP error. You could also look into an updated version of your wireless adapter or reinstalling them atleast.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
        I want to make sure I do this correctly.  Go to start menu>run>cmd.  Black screen comes up with flashing cursor.  Then type IPconfig/release>enter. Next line down type IPconfig/renew> enter.  Is this the entire process, is there anything else I need to enter on that screen,or something with this procedure that I am doing incorrectly?  And... do I do this for all 3 computers?  Yes, I have never done this before.

ddunne2

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:33:55 PM »
          Are your pc's setup to recieve IP addresses statically or dynamically? You can check this by going to network connections, right-clicking on your wireless connection and choose properties. Then click to highlight IP v4 and select properties. The setting in the new window should be set to obtain IP addresses automatically. If not, change the selection and check if this solves your problem. Conflicts can be caused for different reasons but this one is usually the cause. Hope this helps!

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 03:20:54 PM »
            I followed your suggestion, the IP v4 address was set for a specific number a and subnet mask number.  I clicked on "seek IP address automatically".  Now, I will see if that corrects this problem. I did this on the computer that the router is wired to.  The other 2 computers pick up that signal, one with the WIFI range extender.  Do I have to reset this also on the other 2 computers  or is this one adjustment for all of them as they operate off the router and then the extender?  Also, I still haven't gotten an answer( not your post) to run a cmd prompt IPconfig release/renew.  I am assuming you gave me your idea because there is more than one way to correct this.  Is that correct??  If the answer is yes, then I know I don't have to try it the other way.
            « Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 04:00:24 PM by beachguy »

jason2074

Egghead

• It doesn't matter.
            « Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 05:16:26 PM »
            I followed your suggestion, the IP v4 address was set for a specific number
            If one computer is set to a static IP and others on DHCP, then from once in a while you will receive the error conflict. Its best to use just one configuration for all PC. Unless you reserved the IP address on DHCP settings for that specific computer by your router. But to avoid certain hassles, use the automatic settings for your home network.

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 05:54:33 PM »
              ok, will see what happens over the next few days. 

beachguy

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 09:03:47 AM »
                ddune2:
                Thanks for the info.  Your suggestion to go to IPv4 in network connections, and change it to "seek IP address automatically"  seems to have fixed this problem.  None of the computers have gotten an IP address conflict notice in two days now, so I am thinking your suggestion to adjust that setting has worked.  Glad you passed this on.  Hope others can use it also.  I also checked the other two computers.  One indicated it was seeking addresses automatically, and the other one I had to change it to seek the address automatically.  All three computers are now seeking IP addresses automatically. Thanks again for giving me clear cut directions as to how to solve this problem.

beachguy