Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AOL Virus Protection???  (Read 4636 times)

sjb

AOL Virus Protection???
« on: January 31, 2005, 03:45:27 AM »
I have AOL and recently downloaded their version of McAfee.  Since then, I have had nothing but problems.  They have helped me fix a couple of problems, but now it is unbearable.  I can not open ANY web pages and get the "Microsoft Explorer error" message.  I also can not open the MY COMPUTER folder and several other folders.  This time, AOL says it is a Microsoft problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: AOL Virus Protection???
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 08:29:38 AM »
Advice number 1.... McAfee is a HORRIBLE program... Second... What version of Windows are you using? We might be able to run a system restore... Another thing... When did this happen?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

sjb

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 07:24:34 PM »
All of these problems started after I intalled the McAfee THROUGH AOL.  I talked to them about 10 times on the phone and thought I had it fixed.  Then, I tried to transfer some data off of a jump drive onto my computer and that is when things got about 1000 times worse.  I checked both the jump drive and the computer the info came off of......no problems from them (so it seems).  I have Windows XP.    
Thanks again.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 07:41:57 PM »
let's do a system restore.... Click Start -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore ... Now, click nect on the window that pops-up. (Make sure that you have revert to an earlier time selected) Now... A calendar wil pop-up... Select the day BEFORE you installed McAfee.. Now, click next... You will see a dialog window saying what will happen.. Make sure that the right day is selected, and click next... Your computer will now restart... Before it restarts, you will see a status window... Now, this may move SLOWLY, so be patient! Let us know what happens next...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

sjb

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:14:17 AM »
Hi,
Well, I tried to do that, but this time, when I turned on my computer, I don't even have a START button, so I can't get to anything.  Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Yes
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 03:40:07 PM »
Try running system restore in Safe Mode...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

sjb

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 06:32:41 PM »
How can I restart it in safe mode?

sjb

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 06:45:13 PM »
I tried to do the systme restore by hitting CNTL-ALT-Del.  Here is what came up...
System Configuration Utility

General  System.INI  WIN.INI   BOOT. INI  Services  Setup

Start Up Selection

o Normal Startup - Load all device drivers & services
     o Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only
     o Selective Startup:
ü      Process SYSTEM.INI file
ü      Process WIN.INI file
ü      Load System Services
§      Load Startup Items
                           o    Use original BOOT.INI

Launch System Restore                   Expand File

WHich one should I use?  I am inclined to do the NORMAL restore...is that right?