Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dumb Excel Question  (Read 2878 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Dumb Excel Question
    « on: April 10, 2008, 04:42:04 AM »
    I'm using 03 ver of excel.  I made a list so that I can know when to have the oil changed.  How do I put lines in the cells?  Like a straight line without manually doing it.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

justin caise

Beginner

Re: Dumb Excel Question
      « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 05:01:52 AM »
      I'm sorry but I'm having a tough time understanding what type of line you mean.
      Do you mean to underline your "text" or to vertically divide the cell into two halves, or something completely different?
      Could you rephrase the question or tell us of its purpose, please?
      "The worst thing you can die with is potential." Henry Cloud

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 05:07:49 AM »
        A line to write stuff in.  like what you see on fill in the blanks.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 05:09:04 AM »
        I use Excel 2000, but the process should basically be the same.

If you want to separate a horizontal line of objects within a cell, you should select a group of cells under the line of objects you want to separate with this horizontal line.

Once you have the group of cells selected, simply use the toolbar to format the group of cells and add a border to the bottom of those cells.

You can use the print preview to see how this looks.

I have not seen an instance in Excell where you can add a horizontal rule...instead you have to use the process I've described above.

Hopefully, this is what you're looking to do, please let us know, okay?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 05:15:26 AM »
          I was tring to do that, but you have to do it for each an every cell.  I want a whole range to use.

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
          Select a cell...

Then holding down the Shift key, select a range of cells using your right arrow key.  Then format the cells to only have a border at the bottom of the cells you've selected.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 05:22:46 AM »
            I could just simply put it at the cell instead of selecting a range.  At the bottom of the range of the cells, I want it to show up in the selected cells. 

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:27:58 AM »
            When selecting your cells that you want to format with this border at the bottom...instead of using the Shift key, use the Ctrl key and click each of the cells you want to format with this border.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 05:52:09 AM »
              Oh thanks now its working.  :D

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2008, 05:52:59 AM »
              You're welcome...glad I could be of service.

NOT ADMIN :P

Intermediate

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
                LOL by the time you wrote and waited for those replies you could have done each cell individually at least 53,889* times.

*Answer based on extremely in-depth mathematical formulas in conjunction with the workings of one extremely powerful brain... :P