Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Question about a in home server  (Read 2300 times)

nahima76

Question about a in home server
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:56:01 AM »
I was wondering if there is a way to put a server in my home to store all my games, software and so forth on. But I want to access it and run them from the server and not from my computers? Is this possible to do without installing everything on to my computer?
I am just wondering if it is cheaper going this router vs buying a computer that I need so much space and memory to run all my art programs while working. I do already have all 4 computers networked together in the house and save everything on a extra hard drive on the desktop computer.
But I do not want to have so much istalled on my computer if possible cause I just do not do slow ::) ;D

hmar

Beginner

Re: Question about a in home server
    « Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 09:13:45 AM »
    If you share a folder on the server, you can map the it as a drive to the other computers. (navigate to the folder, right click on the shared folder and choose "map network drive". Make sure to choose reconnect on logon. Afterwards, when you install software, choose a custom path and select the mapped drive instead of the program folder. Just remember, you still need a separate install from each computer you will use your software from.