Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard drive help  (Read 2437 times)

detroitpistons05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hard drive help
    « on: May 22, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »
    I have two Hard drive on my computer. Only one is showing up. How do I get a second hard drive to show up. It work before long time ago but now it don't. If you have aol instant messager or AIM. We can talk on there. So I don't have to post alot.  We can talk on here. What ever is better.

homer

Expert
      Re: Hard drive help
      « Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 04:44:47 PM »
      welcome to the forums.

It work before long time ago but now it don't.

are the HD cables connected and secured? can you see the harddrive in disk managment?*

* press START then select run. type in "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes to enter into disk management.

detroitpistons05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
        Thanks you for the welcome. I try press START then select run. type in "diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes to enter into disk management. It said cannot find file 'diskmgmt.msc'..ect.  Yea it is connected. I don't know why it don't work now. Thanks you for the help.

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 05:48:03 PM »
          im sorry, i forgot to ask, what is your operating system?

detroitpistons05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 06:01:34 PM »
            I have a emachines from like 1999. Everything is working right. It all connected and everything. When I go to my computer. It only show one hard drive.  That funny like few years ago it work.

homer

Expert
              « Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 06:06:04 PM »
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system

example: windows XP, vista, Mac OSX

detroitpistons05

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 06:09:56 PM »
                I have windows 98.

homer

Expert
                  « Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 06:20:59 PM »
                   if it was working before and you have not tinkered in the case, then the only conclusion i can come to is that it is fried.

doctorbighands

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 06:30:45 PM »
                    if it was working before and you have not tinkered in the case, then the only conclusion i can come to is that it is fried.

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude, but that's really bad advice. There could be a LOT more going on here!

detroitpistons05: The first thing to find out is if there's any data on your second disk. If so, it may be formatted in a way that Windows 98 can't read. For example, if the disk came from a newer Windows version than 98, it's likely formatted as NTFS, which Win98 can't handle. In that case, re-formatting the disk as FAT32 should do the trick.

Also, reboot the machine and check to see if both disks are recognized in the BIOS. You do this by pressing a specific key right after the computer comes to life (often ESC, F2, or F12).

If the disk is FAT32 and it's recognized by the BIOS, then we can try some other things. Check those and report back! :)

squall_01

Prodigy

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 06:35:25 PM »
                      I would see if what ever your drive is has a format partiton pro like maxblast is for maxtor drives.  If it sees it I would try an repair it from the 98 disk or something.  Sorry havent messed with 98 in a long time.
                      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

homer

Expert
                        « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 06:53:20 PM »
                        I'm sorry. I don't mean to be rude, but that's really bad advice. There could be a LOT more going on here!

if you read his previous posts, he stated that his harddrive was working before a long time ago and now its not. he did not state that it is a new harddrive or that he installed it into another computer, therefore i gave him advice based on the assumption that his defective harddrive was at one point working in his current computer case and is now not. that being the case, it would be impossible to  have an unsupported format on his harddrive or else he would have never been able to use it in the first place. with that being said, the only time i have ever seen a once working harddrive disappear, is when its bit the bullet.

brett74

Apprentice

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 07:20:53 PM »
                          I agree with homer I was thinking the same thing.