Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: rdram question  (Read 2731 times)

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Experience: Experienced
    rdram question
    « on: May 18, 2008, 10:35:12 PM »
    Hi folks, just a quick question.

I was given a Dell Dimension 8250 and it uses rdram. Now in searching on-line I see that it can get really really expensive. That is ok, the question I have is about the speed of the ram.

Will there be a problem if I use PC600 or PC700 ram instead of the PC800 or PC1066 that is stated on the Dell website? With the PC1066 the computer would max out at 1.5GB and with the PC800 it goes up to 2GB. Will the PC600 or 700 cause me problems in the long run?

Thanks

michaewlewis

Intermediate
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: rdram question
    « Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 11:16:01 AM »
    rdram is one of the most picky types of ram out there. I would stick with the same speed. ;)

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 06:53:12 PM »
    rdram is all you can use on that machine...no matter the speed.
    If you are looking at cheaper alternatives in other RAM formats you are out of luck.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 09:00:11 PM »
      I know that rdram is all that is usable. I found pc600 and pc700 ram for a lot less than pc800 and pc1066. It is from the same vendor. The maker is Samsung and the 256mb chip is only 18.00. That price is hard to resist and I just wondered what would be the consequences of using it.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 06:08:39 AM »
      Again you need to check your MBoard specs...that's what determines what speed of RAM can be used...
      The lower speeds will not be too much of a performance hit if the board supports them.

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:15:20 AM »
      strange that your dell model doesn't show up on crucial or kingston.....

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 09:08:19 AM »
        Not strange at all. They don't sell it or something like that so it is not on their list of computers. I have seen it with other makes and models.

I looked at the specs from the dell site and it has pc800 and pc1066 listed, but not pc600 or pc700. Guess I will have to check with Dell as to it's compatibility.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:09:52 PM »
        If it's a pc800 board you shouldn't go below that.
        I don't completely understand the issue here. RAM is dirt cheap right now...

Kando

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:06:25 PM »
          Thinking about it I guess you are right. As for dirt cheap, rdram is most annoyingly against the norm here. To get the max of 2gb from an ebay seller would cost $478 plus shipping. That 4 x 512. I found a vendor within an hour of me that is selling 256mb for $90 each. With four slots on the motherboard that would cost $360. If I had that for just ram, I could just wait for a Dell sale, add in a discount coupon and be quite happy. In fact I could probably just hit the local computer fair and pick up two computers for $360, P4 2.8's with 1ghz ram no less.

Clevor

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:22:39 AM »
            I am a retro person and still keep a fleet of older motherboards, including several RDRAM boards. I think I can start an RDRAM museum. Interesting enough, the ole RDRAM boards such as the P4T-E and P4T533-R actually boot and shutdown WinXP faster than the last boards I bought while overclocking in 2005: FX-60 running 300x10, 2.5-3-3-6 on a DFI NF4 Ultra-D board. I don't know why this is. The P4T-E would typically be running 156/4x at 3.12 gig on a 2.0A CPU!

In regards to your question, the PC1066 were later technology so they overclocked higher than stuff like PC600 or PC800. For example, the PC800 I have max out around 144/4x. The 45 ns versions would run up to maybe 150/4x. Good overclocking PC1066 is capable of 156/4x, the max clock of the Intel 850 MBs. Bandwidth at the time was huge compared to DDR1. For a short period, the P4T533-R was available with 32-bit RIMM4200/4800. I have cherry sticks that hit 170/4x Memtest clean, but the max stability of these boards were 166/4x where the video card lost signal upon booting into Windows. Bandwidth at 166/4x was astronomical compared to other RAM technology at the time, but it was very hard to find cherry sticks of RDRAM as quality varied greatly. OCZ came out with PC1200 (16-bit) for a short period of time. These sticks were guaranteed to run 150/4x but usually did 156/4x.

I have bought some RDRAM over the last few months as spares, and they are still expensive compared to DDR2/3. Not sure it is worth it to pick up these boards. There is still demand for RDRAM, particularly 512 MB sticks, because I had to pay rather high prices to outbid people on Ebay! Five years ago a 512 MB stick would run $500; today it will run maybe $150. In addition, the P4T533-C board still commands good prices on Ebay.

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 11:57:12 AM »
            $478 would be a great start on a Quad-Core MBoard and CPU...i'm building one and i got 2 1G sticks of high end RAM for $54 Bucks after rebate...
            I will be adding 2 more.
            The total build without a new monitor is going to come in at between $750 and $800 Bucks.