Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hosting and Domains  (Read 3282 times)

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

Hosting and Domains
    « on: June 09, 2008, 07:59:36 PM »
    Hey everyone.

I need opinions here guys/girls. A buddy and I are starting a few websites for some clients of ours. We are going through a general online hosting company (not our own server). here is the question. Should we open a new account with this online hosting company for each client or have our account and just add domains back to back. I am asking because I'm not sure how much business we may do in the future.

Lets also say for example that we are not concerned with bandwidth or storage space.  ;)

Thanks in advance.

stevejohnson1958

Re: Hosting and Domains
    « Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:30:26 PM »
    If it were me...I'd keep the domains separate.  Only because these clients may want to expand on their own domains down the road....by adding subs and such.

I know you're not concerned with bandwidth and storage...but don't you think it would be better to keep the entities separate?

Also...are you looking to make money off of the hosting...or does this even concern you at all?

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 06:13:12 AM »
      The hosting I am not worried about. We have several promotions that would keep us from running up a high server cost. Eventually we may get into our own server but for now even if we are paying a small hosting fee we will just roll it into the contract. It's just a process. I'm sure you know that.

We were thinking the same thing. Keeping the domains separate would allow the client to expand and it would also create less work for us in several ways. We just wanted some other opinions on what other people are doing are what they think. 

Thanks for the feedback!   ;)

michaewlewis

Intermediate
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 09:22:48 AM »
      I used to run a web design business, too, and we had about one web host for 3-5 domains depending on the requirements of the client. Of course, we had to do a little bit of scripting/checking to make sure that when you typed in one site you wouldn't end up at one of the other sites. ;)

rasilun

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:40 AM »
        Excellent point and suggestion. Right now we have our sites (3) on one host. Don't think we should be adding much more to a server. Gets a little "involved". :D

Thanks!