Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Comp restarting with error message  (Read 4177 times)

Snakier

Topic Starter

Starter

Comp restarting with error message
    « on: June 22, 2008, 01:36:46 PM »
    Hi i own an HP  a400n product specs are :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00057188&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

but i gave it 1gig of ram, and an fx 5500 nvidia vid card, runnning  windows xp, upgraded to sp 3

for future references the blue error screen which i talk about:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your comp."

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

2 more paragraphs saying to check hardware and software
    and then says

"'Technical Info
    ***STOP: 0x000000ED (0x862B9438, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x000000000)"

alright, so i was playing grand theft auto san andreas.... got bored and quit the game, and left the room for about an hour, thinking it would go to the desktop.
    When i went back, i was in a black screen and the only thing i could see was the mouse pointer, i ddi alt ctrl delete and the taskbar didnt show up, tried to turn off the pc with the swicth u use to turn it on, did  alt f4 and nothing happened. So i have a surge protector or suppressor or whatever it is called.. and i flipped the switch to turn off the power and restart the pc.... but when i turned it back on it would go to a screen prompting me to choose my operating system either windows xp or windows recovery system. i choose windows xp and another screen followed prompting me to pick from
    safe mnode
    safe mode with networking
    safe mode with something else
    last recent settings that worked
    or start windows normally

in start windows normally it would go to the windows screen where it has like a little green loading bar and then show me a blue error screen for like half a second and restart
    the same thing happened with last recen settings
    in all the safe modes, it shows me a list of i guess sytem files and then just restarts
    btw the list that it shows is
    multi(0)disk(0)partition2\windows\system 32\drivers\agp440.sys
    ^^^thats the last file
    and then says
    press escape to stop loading stp.sys

ok..so i went back to the operating system promp screen and choose recovery but afterthe white line loads it shows the same blue screen that i had seen before.... btw.. i pressed f8 in the os promt screen and it showed me some choices
    all the previouse safe mode options
    enable boot logging
    enable vga mode
    lat knwo config (*didn't work)
    directoryt services mode (windows domain controllers only)
    debugging mode
    disable auto restart on system failure
    start windows normally reboot
    return to os choices menu

i did the disable system restart and when i did everything normally it showed me the blue error screen

btw i looked up 0x000000ed on google and it took me to this page
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297185
    but i can't put anything into the system recovey tool

ale52

Expert

• Deo Gratis
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Comp restarting with error message
      « Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 05:14:39 PM »
      Try putting your recovery cd in from HP and choose restore.  It may give you the option to do a non-destructive restore, it may not. 

Try booting to Safe Mode Command Prompt / type the following at the prompt  c:\   then     sfc /scannow

I've not tried it from here but it's worth a shot.  Make sure you have your cd handy.

Alan <><  :D

I have principles.  And if you don't like them...well...I have other principles!!

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Comp restarting with error message
      « Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 05:58:27 PM »
      Run free diagnostic tool from your hard drive manufacturer.