Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Motherboard Issue  (Read 2436 times)

pacdude9

Topic Starter

Starter

Motherboard Issue
    « on: June 15, 2008, 09:47:46 PM »
    OK here's the deal... I don't need to give you the specs on my computer because its not necessary. I will tell you my mobo is an Abit Fatal1ty. My computer kept having corrupt files and random bluescreens, when I had windows, and random crashes when I had Linux. So after many headaches, I found out my issue was a processor problem. So I ordered and installed a new processor. It worked great... for around 5 hours. My computer bluescreened again and would not start up (this is the point I am at now with my prob). My fans start up. If I lean my head in I can hear the the HD turn on. However, there is no system beep, and nothing shows up on the screen - no post. I tried starting it up a few times. Feeling around. No overheating. So I browse the internet, and they say, check for shorts on the mobo. So I do, no results. So they say, to be sure, take the mobo out of the case and run it there. And LORD BEHOLD! IT WORKED! Ran great, clean as a whistle. This got me pumped. So I put the mobo back in the case and screwed everything in. It ran for roughly 30 min before another bluescreen. So I'm positive there is a short. There is some minor warping of the mobo (its slightly bent) which concerns me. Finally:

Is there a way I can make it so my mobo never shorts from hitting the case or the mounting brackets? I'm first going to try using the nylon washers that you are supposed to use on the top on the top AND the bottom. My concern is if that doesn't work, how can I stop contact between the mobo and the case? I read somewhere to put cardboard between the mobo and the case, but that just seems like a fire hazard to me. Please help!

Aegis

Expert

• Yes
      • Yes
      • Brian's Mess Of A Web Page
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Motherboard Issue
    « Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »
    Do you know if it's touching the case itself, or is it a short through one of the risers onto which the board is attached via screws.  I think the washer idea is a good one.

"For you, a thousand times over." - "The Kite Runner"

street1 (RIP)

• R.I.P.

• Egghead

• I Triple Dog Dare You!!! LOL
      • Obituary
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 09:55:17 PM »
    You can get small rubber washers or O-rings at the hardware
    store. glue them in place to the back of you motherboard.

Will it short again? Quoth the WoodPecker"Nevermore" :D
    Sorry,The USA has ruined the language The United Kingdom loaned us. We do our best not to type gibberish. I Hope you can forgive us.

pacdude9

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 11:17:37 PM »
      Thanks for the replies, I have been busy with other junk, but I will try the nylon or rubber or plastic washers... However, I am not sure if the mobo is touching the case itself or the mounting brackets. The post I made was basically to ask what to do if it IS touching  the case (w/o getting a new mobo).

Thanks a million

xavier

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 01:17:04 PM »
      If you have a short from case to your mother board your unit wiss shut down right away not after 30min.I believe you have other issues.

pacdude9

Topic Starter

Starter

Resolved: Motherboard Issue
        « Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 11:19:01 PM »
        The whole nylon washer thing worked! Thanks for the advice guys.

P.S. The short appeared to be something dealing with ram and/or the processor, and when a certain part of these hardware parts were activated, usually when intensive processes were used. I believe the short happened at those points. Oh well... works now... now to deal with the apparently broken HD...