Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: SCIS hard drive  (Read 1857 times)

stubby

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

SCIS hard drive
    « on: June 22, 2008, 11:58:55 PM »
    I'm building a gaming rig. My question is this I was wondering if anybody out there is running SCIS harddrives. I'm looking at getting one to use for gaming.  Ive heard you have to get a SCIS controller card in your computer.  I'm looking at a hard drive that runs at 15000 rpm kind of wondering what else to look for in a drive as I have never dealt with these drives before. Any info on if this is a good idea and any info on how to setup/what to buy or look for would be appreciated.

homer

Expert
      Re: SCIS hard drive
      « Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:20:49 AM »
      why do you want to purchase an SCSI HD for gaming? it will not improve game performance, it will merely make levels load faster. i personally think its not a wise choice, but if you have the money and really want levels to load faster then by all means go for it.

just an added note, if you do have money to burn on a high performance HD, i recommend the WD raptors. they use a SATA interface so an SCSI controller card is not needed. (unless your using, or plan on using, a mobo with native SCSI support.)

15k SCSI HD 300gb - $655
      10k SATA2 HD 150gb -$225
      7.2k SATA2 HD 320gb -$70

Cost per GB:
      15k SCSI HD - $2.18/gb
      10k SATA2 HD - $1.50/gb
      7.2k SATA2 HD - $0.21/gb

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 12:40:00 AM by homer »