Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drive Questions  (Read 3044 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Drive Questions
    « on: July 05, 2008, 04:27:56 PM »
    I got that program to remove the files I wanted from my one drive.  I have a dead drive the thing is it isnt working.  Does this mean that there is know way to see it?
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Drive Questions
    « Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
    By 'dead drive' what do you mean?
    Do mean 'dead' as in it cannot start up or what?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »
      Yeah, that last time was a fluke.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: July 05, 2008, 05:30:21 PM »
      If it won't work as a Slave, then I don't see anything else you can do.

I'm sure you already know this but there are people who specialize on extracting data from damaged Hard Disks. However, you will need a lot of $$$$$$$.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2008, 05:33:29 PM »
        I justed wanted to see if this would be able to make it run again.  Some how it does, when the hd crashes an burns.  So it has to somewhat work how else does the data come off?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »
        What?  ???

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
          In the event of a hd failure how do you think the data is recovered?  The hd is some how running.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
          I don't know how they recover data off bad disks.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 06:40:10 PM »
            Thats why I wondered if I couldnt reanimet the drive.

xavier

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 07:14:32 PM »
            Name it whatever you want, its toast

N4646W

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 09:50:52 PM »
              Two things you might want to try.

1.   wrap the drive in plastic wrap and leave it in the fridge over night.  Make sure it is sealed tightly so that no moisture cannot get into it.  Have your machine set up so when you fire it up with the cold HD you can get to your recovery program with out delay and start removing your files.  This method is only good for a bad bearing or a circuit that is overheating.  You may have to do this procedure several times to recover your files, or it quits working completely.

2.   if it is a bad circuit board, if you can find an identical drive, very carefully swap the circuit boards.  This is the board on the bottom of the drive.

Other than that, I guess it is off to data recovery if the files are worth it.

Dias de verano

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 02:01:25 AM »
              To answer, Squall's question, if a drive no longer spins, but data recovery is desired, a recovery company can dismantle the drive in a clean room and remove the platters and either mount them into a special rig or into a working drive casing. This can cost hundreds or thousands of dollars.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 05:02:03 AM »
                I suppose that why its cost so much.  Not that I need to or anything just if I got it working again would have some money saved.  All my drives are samll.

quaxo

Guru
                  • Yes
                • Computer: Specs
                « Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 05:20:57 AM »
                Well, you most likely won't get it working again. It'll make a nice paper weight though.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2008, 05:37:35 AM »
                  Thats true. I mainly took it apart for study, here at squall enterprise we stress the effort to make sure I know what I doing an saing.