Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: dreamscene....  (Read 3025 times)

mcxeb52!

dreamscene....
« on: July 07, 2008, 12:32:02 AM »
I have windows vista ultimate's dreamscene update. When using a video desktop background, explorer.exe process seems to increase in terms of CPU usage, I think to almiost 100% sometimes.

Any reason why explorer.exe's CPU usage goes up like that and also the video background pauses intermittently sometimes (like when you're trying to play HD video but your graphics card is the bare minimum needed to play it).

I have a geforce 8500GT with 256mb ddr2 ram, 1gb system ram and AMD64 Athlon processor. Maybe graphics card is not powerful enough or my processor isn't powerful enough to allow smooth video playback for dreamscene?

--------

Dreamscene is a nice feature. If it causes problems, I' can always go back to a still desktop background. However, if I can get dreamscene to work properly, why not use it?

Annon

Re: dreamscene....
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 06:03:30 AM »
DREAMSCENE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR: WINDOWS AERO
See: Windows Help and Support: Troubleshoot problems with Windows Aero (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/c33fe91a-9e6f-41f4-ae82-3ed2d5fa2fbf1033.mspx)

NOTE: The Windows Aero color scheme is not available for the Vista Home Basic version. :(

1 GHz 32 bit or 64 bit CPU processor.
The computer needs at least 1 GB of RAM.
A graphics card with support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB of memory.
The graphics card must support Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware.
The graphics card driver must support Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WDDM)
The computer display color depth must be set to 32 bits per pixel.
DREAMSCENE FOLDER LOCATION: C:\Windows\Web\Windows DreamScene

WARNING:
On some less powerful computers, Windows DreamScene can cause a significant performance impact. Some DreamScenes will use more of the CPU Usage than others. You can check in Task Manager (CTRL+SHIFT+ESC) under the Performance tab to see how much CPU Usage is being used by a particular DreamScene.

PROBLEM TROUBLESHOOTING:
See: Windows Help and How-to: Troubleshooting Problems with Windows DreamScene (http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/c9c423ac-c343-4694-9408-877631d810b51033.mspx)