Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Outlook: how do I import mail on D: partition into reinstalled application on C:  (Read 2846 times)

jemipa

Following advice received from my computer manufacturer's (ACER) tech support line, yesterday I copied the folders on my C: partition onto the D: partition (into a folder I named Cdrivecopy) before restoring my computer to factory settings.  Then I reinstalled my applications.  I am now in a situation where the reinstalled Outlook application contains none of my past emails.  ACER can't help me with the following question: How do I get the emails which are somewhere on my D: partition back into Outlook?  This is the question I would appreciate help on.  My OS is Vista Home Premium, and the Office suite is Office Enterprise 2007 (same as before).

My understanding is that my emails would be in one or more files with extension .pst.  Running "Search everywhere" on *.pst returned only one such file, called "archive" (which I assume contains only archived emails, not emails that were last resident in my inbox and other internal folders).  The path is given as D:\Cdrivecopy\Users\Jeremy\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.  However, when I try to import .pst files into Outlook using the Import wizard ("import from another application", then "import personal folders"), the "browse" tab does not allow me to see or follow the path returned by my previous Search: there is no "Appdata" subfolder indicated under "Jeremy".  When I try to follow the path by clicking on "Computer" --> "D:"--> etc. I get the same result: no Appdata subfolder is visible under Jeremy.

One other thing: the browse window in the Outlook Import wizard does (by default) list the following path to a .pst file not revealed by my Search, namely C:\Users\Jeremy\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\backup.pst.   I haven't tried importing this file since I suppose it is a new file which will be more or less empty.  I don't know why it wasn't revealed by my Search on .pst files, and again I can't find the file by clicking on "Computer" --> "D:" etc. because this procedure shows no Appdata folder under Jeremy.

In short, I would like to import my emails (in fact, mainly the ones which were still in my inbox, rather than the older archived emails) into the reinstalled Outlook, and would appreciate pointers on how to do this.

piaaz

Rookie

you are on correct path my friend....when you searched for the PST file....did you enable the search for hidden file and folder ?.......Do you know if you had offline file as well or not (OST file, that could come handy as well)

Cheers