Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My broadband internet connection keeps dropping.  (Read 4738 times)

GameAngel64

Topic Starter

Rookie

My broadband internet connection keeps dropping.
    « on: July 25, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »
    Comcast has been here at least three, perhaps four or five, times to address our internet troubles.  Basically, we can't seem to stay connected to the internet.  It is cable broadband internet, and we have to power cycle endlessly throughout the day in order to get any kind of connection, and often that is short lived.  Typing this now I do not know how long I'll be able to stay on.  Sometimes the connection lasts under 10 seconds, sometimes a few minutes, occasionally as long as over an hour, and sometimes even power cycling will not restore the connection.  Here are some stats:

The modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5120.  We had a different modem prior to this one, with the same problems.  I don't remember what that modem was.  After we switched to this modem the internet seemed to work properly for a few days (less than a week) and then the same problems, maybe worse.

I'm trying to get to the modem's setup page in case anyone needs stats from that, and while I was able to get there before, it now says "Problem loading page."

We're using a Linksys WRT54GS Router.

Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Once, or perhaps twice, I got an error message regarding an IP address conflict with something else on the network, but the IP address is automatically assigned and those problems passed.  Haven't seen that error message in a while, so I don't want anyone to get too hung up on it, but in case it's important I wanted to mention it.

When Comcast last came to look around they said the outside line was damaged (they fixed that) and they weren't so sure about a line in our crawlspace, so they fixed that too.  Without calling them out again immediately, since they've been here a lot (and every time we call for assistance on the phone they just want us to power cycle it, and then are convinced the problem is solved because the modem temporarily comes back on), is there anything else anyone can think for us to check out?  Any other fixes?  I'm sure other info will be needed so just let me know and I'll try and get that to you.

Thanks!

P.S.  Almost forgot, generally when we are unable to connect to the internet, the power light is solid, the receive light is blinking, PC activity light is solid, all other lights are off.  Sometimes the power, receive, and PC activity light will be solid and the send light will be blinking, but typically it is the former.

EDIT: Allow me to add that, now that I've tried to underplay the significance of the conflicting IP address error message, it came up again just a little bit ago.  Hmmm....
    « Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 07:02:57 PM by GameAngel64 »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: My broadband internet connection keeps dropping.
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
    Is this the setup for just one computer?
    Did you try Windows repair?

GameAngel64

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 03:03:02 PM »
      I haven't had internet access at all so Comcast had to come out again, and now they say that the power levels were not so good, and they changed our cable and obviously I am now online, so hopefully this will be the end of our woes.

Ttech

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 03:05:46 PM »
        Upgrade the Linksys router to the latest firmware @ www.linksys.com/download

1. Once you upgrade to the latest firmware or if there is no firmware upgrade, you need to perform a factory reset by holding in the reset button for 30 seconds located on back of the router, you will notice the routers lights blinking. Then wait about 2-3 minutes while the router syncs back up.

Note: The factory reset will erase all previous settings, so you may want to write down your settings as you will have to enter the settings back into the router.

You do not need the CD to install the router, You can set it up manually.

1. Just open up Internet Explorer and type 192.168.1.1
        2. A Linksys sign-in box will open
        3. User Name = (leave this blank)
            Password = admin
        4. Click OK

You should be at a Linksys set-up page, at this point I do not know if you have Cable or DSL connection so I will provide both set-up links below.

DSL set up link @   http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3687&p_created=1151389425&p_sid=FQPI289j&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=4607&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9OTAmcF9wcm9kcz0xLDIwJnBfY2F0cz0xNzIxLDE3MjMmcF9wdj0yLjIwJnBfY3Y9Mi4xNzIzJnBfc2NmX2xhbmc9MSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNldHRpbmcgdXAgdGhlIHJvdXRlciBvciBEU0wgY29ubmVjdGlvbg**&p_li=&p_topview=

Cable set up link @   http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3686&p_created=1151377023&p_sid=J4QgVaGi&p_accessibility=0&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTIyNyZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTE3MjEsMTcyMyZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PTIuMTcyMyZwX3NjZl9sYW5nPTEmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zZXR0aW5nIHVwIHRoZSByb3V0ZXIgb3IgY2FibGUgY29ubmVjdGlvbg**&p_li=&p_topview=1
        Hope this helps,
        Ttech

GameAngel64

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 03:23:37 PM »
          Thanks for the helpful reply.  :)  While the Comcast guy was here we actually did return the router to the default factory settings.  Via your links I have downloaded new firmware for the router and will install it later.  Thanks again!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
          Good news :)