Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Brand new laptop, how do I format, removing Vista and re-partition drives?  (Read 3929 times)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Woo Woo
    Hi all...!!  ;D

I have searched these topics on the forum... didn't find relevant posts so...

I have just bought my first Lappy (laptop, not lap dance) and it came with Vista (thanks very much) which I'm not very keen on.  ::) It is also crammed with dozens of other programs I don't need, use or want, and at the first turn-on, 61 processes were running!!

I want to start fresh with it, put a clean Xp Pro on and move the partition from what it came with (C=110gB D=10gB) to a more balanced... say 30gB for C, 90gB for D?

1) What is the best way to format and repartition? I'm confident with reloading all the bits I need (Windows, HW drivers, AV etc) but how do I get in there and clean it out, to start with a clean slate?

2) Are there any problems I might encounter? Such as not beiing able to install drivers for the HW installed already...? This is my first laptop and it will be under warranty for 1 year...

3) is my new partition ok? Should I save more for C?

I believe XP Pro will sort out a lot of these bits for me... it has WLAN and that is the only thing that really worries me... setting it all up again. Will XP detect these bits and pieces for me?

If I get stuck I still have full Net access through my home PC.

BTW it's a Compaq Presario 2.13gB 1Gb RAM, 120GB HD, Windows Vista Home Basic...

Thanks greatly... I would sooner come here for advice than my local PC repair shop!

chad :-)

fullbug

Apprentice
      You didnt know it came with Vista when you got it? Considering how much laptops are, thats the first question I would have asked....
      I'm sure someone here can help ya out....

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
      • Woo Woo
        Of course I knew it came with Vista... but everything new now comes with Vista. Its so crap they have to GIVE it away!   :-X (my opinion... sorry Vista fans. Are there any Vista fans?)

But it was 60% off plus a cash back so I grabbed it. I asked for no Vista but it's loaded up on the machine already in the box!! What happened to the good old days when you had to do everything yourself??

I got it cheap (about AU$400) and plan to sort out the OS myself...

:-)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Woo Woo
          I'm just wondering if XP will ask me to format when I install it? Will this totally clear the drives?

soybean

Genius
          • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          It will give you the option to create or delete partitions.  If you want keep D as is, you can do that.  BTW, isn't D a recovery partition?  In other words, it has Windows Vista and all other original software that came with your system.  And, if so, you should be able to burn that to CD or DVD so that you would have a full-restore CD/DVD that can be used, in lieu of the recovery partition, if you ever decide you want to go back to Vista.

Here's a good reference on installing Windows XP: http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
          • Woo Woo
            Thanks Soy...

Can I ask, is a WIndows generated new partition as good as doing the new partitions in DOS? I have heard it is best to do these major system changes in DOS.

soybean

Genius
            • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Experienced
            Use the options to create partitions and format a partition that are provided by the Setup procedure from running the Windows installation disk.  That will work fine.

h0w

Beginner

when you install xp it should give u an option to delete all old partitons. then you will have to create your own partion with the desired space for c. after windows installs, right click on my computer, then go to  manage, then disk management, it should show that ur harddrive has extra space, and create a partiton for the amount of space you want.

i think at the beginning the measurement is in KB, so just for common knowledge, 1000 kb is 1 mb, 1000mb is 1 gb.