Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ethernet problems  (Read 2405 times)

ann32428

Topic Starter

Rookie

ethernet problems
    « on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:28 AM »
    I have a dell dimenson2350 desktop, 1.8 mz processor 1025 mb ram.I recently got AT&T dsl .Dsl is working great but computer cannot find the ethernet settings some how they are gone. Used the reinstall disk for windows, still not there. any help would be great. thanks

truenorth

Guru

Re: ethernet problems
      « Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
      ann32428,Welcome to the CH forums.What is it exactly that you are trying to do re the "ethernet settings" that you are unable to do?What is your operating system?

ann32428

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 11:05:45 AM »
        Sorry I have windows xp.Since last post I have found the ethernet controller but it has a yellow question mark beside it. The help desk at AT&T dsl  says it is an internal problem wth my computer I always have had dial up and finally got dsl in my area, an have been trying for 5 days to get it going the dsl is up and running but my computer is not. I think its the ethernet problem. I am connected to the dsl on the laptop every thing is running fine but the desk top says this page cannot be displayed when I try to connect to intenet explorer my avast up dates so part of it works. annny help appriciated.

truenorth

Guru

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 12:04:49 PM »
          ann32428,I certainly know the feeling as it is only within the past 5 months that this household has been on DSL after 7 years on the sloooooow 56k modem. So as i understand your configuration you are coming directly from the DSL modem to the ethernet input on the rear of your tower.is that correct? There are a variety of options you can pursue. Absolutely verify if your ethernet card(port) is not working before rushing out to purchase other hardware. What type of cable do you have coming from the DSL modem to the port? Was it supplied by the DSL service provider? In the event that it is indeed the card then you have options. The cheapest would be to buy and replace the Ethernet card (they are dirt cheap) and the installation is very simple and something you can easily do yourself. However if you want greater convenience at a bit more cost you could purchase a router (a DSL router) that you connect your DSL modem to and (provided you get a router that has both the ethernet hard wire capability and a wireless capability) you can then either run again an ethernet cable to the computer from the router or as i do (with 6 computers being serviced at different locations within the house)use the wireless ability (with an antenae for wireless transmission from the router) access your modem/router from many computers or locations.The cost of this option will be higher(but not extravagantly so) than just the ethernet card replacement but it is so convenient  if you have more than one computer. But again i would ensure that your current card is really defective before replacing it.I gather you have been able to connect a laptop to your new DSL service and are experiencing the great joy of what high speed has to offer.Hope this has been of some assistance.truenorth

ann32428

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:36:15 PM »
            sorry I havent posted back my husband has lung cancer and we have been doing cemo. I have a 2 wire modem and a wireless one be cause I have an old dell latitude laptop that is in the shop. the only way I can connect to the dsl is by the way of the little wireless  modem all the equipment I have came from Att. dsl  every thing is connected correctly because the service guy from att came out to the house. He said it was an internal problem in my computer, but my grandsone hooked up the wireless thing and boom I have dsl on the desk top but I would like to get it fixed correctly. so an ethernet card might fix my problem ?? thanks again

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 03:21:34 PM »
            truenorth is on the right track here and has explained things very well.
            A brand new Ethernet card should not cost you more than 15 or 20 bucks....
            It will include a driver CD that has the necessary drivers for the card.
            Installation is a breeze but if you are unfamiliar with working inside the case just ask someone you know that is and you should be good to go.

Sorry to hear about your Husbands issues...i'll say a prayer.
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ann32428

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:31:25 AM »
              Thanks guys will try this  and thanks for the prayers. If it works  I will let  you know (the ethernet card...and maybe the prayers too.  thanks)

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 06:40:33 PM »
              You're more than Welcome and Welcome to CH as well...
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "