Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What do I need to buy to be able to use 2 laptops wirelessly in my house?  (Read 3032 times)

Dianne Plauche

Topic Starter

Starter

We have a desktop with a DSL hook-up in our family room in the basement. My college student children want to be able to access the web on their laptops while in their rooms. What do I need to buy? Their laptops have wireless capabilites.

stevejohnson1958

A good guide to read before you start setting up your wireless network:  Setting Up a Home Network

All the information you'll need before you go out and start purchasing what you need.

Dianne Plauche

Topic Starter

Starter

thanks you for reply

stevejohnson1958

You're welcome...

andrewhicks7

We've got a pc in the dining room wired to a wireless router (fancy name for a wireless modem). Our 2 laptops can access the internet anywhere in the house as long as the router is switched on. The pc does not need to be on. If all 3 computers are on together, they can talk to each other in different rooms. We have just 1 internet account (AOL). Any computer store will sell a router. All recent laptops have wireless capability - refer to the instructions which come with them. You have to set up a network (we call ours "Amsterdam") and the instructions should tell you how to connect your computers to the network. So all you need to buy is a wireless router.