Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB Drive  (Read 3232 times)

nells

USB Drive
« on: March 14, 2005, 03:43:26 PM »
Hi,

I have a portable 256 drive that the front USB ports will not recognize the data on the drive, even though it will at times recognize the drive.  

any ideas  

thanks nells

Computer_Commando

Re: USB Drive
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 04:16:49 PM »
...portable 256 drive...

Please be more specific.

nells

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 02:25:38 PM »
This is my brother inlaws new computer, this is what he sent me today.

I am still fighting with the portable 256 drive.  Today it recognized the drive and read it but I couldn’t
lift anything off it due to an “ O/I problem” and then a “computer hardware or network problem” .  Left
it for a while and couldn’t read it at all.  Fiddled with it and brought it back but it was showing empty
again.

what other info do you need?  ???
Many thanks Nells

neo_wraith

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 03:03:17 PM »
What kind of USB is it. 2 or 1.  If you have USB 2 drive and try to hook it p to a USB 1 it may not recognize it.  Also check to see if your USB ports are not bent or damaged.  Next find out if your USB is hooked up to your motherbaord or not through jumpers rather than it being part of the hardware.  It could be a couple of things..tell me more about the drive

ojas25

Apprentice

• My Computer World
    « Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 04:44:46 PM »
    Hi This trouble occurs when the USB drive is not connected in the correct maner, check to if if you a 8 leads to the USB terminal and that they are in the right order.
    Computers are my hobby and my income love working with computers

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 07:33:36 PM »
    nells:

One more thing you might try: Plug it into a different USB port (one you know is working).  

Did the hard drive work at all on your inlaw's PC?  If so, try it with a different computer (if you have one).

Is it possible the drive was damaged when it was shipped to you?  If so, check to see if your inlaw purchased insurance from the mail carrier.

Doc
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:37:18 PM by pcdoc4christ »