Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt - M45 S359 won't reboot from C  (Read 4322 times)

fnglover

Topic Starter

Starter

windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt
    you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set-up using the original set up CD-ROM...

this is what I get when I open my toshiba M45 S359 using windows xp...
    nothing works anymore !
    F8 + safe mode is inoperative, and I can't access the recovery console.
    I do not have an original set up CD-ROM and no windows XP disk either. I do have a toshiba recovery and applications/drivers DVD.
    here is what I did so far (following excellent advices)...
    - download the Recovery Console.iso : http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
    - burn it to CD with CDBurnerXP
    - insert it into the Toshiba and try to boot from the CD after changing the BIOS boot order so that the CD drive is listed first

it appears that the laptop refuses to reboot from the CD even if I tweak the boot order.
    it does reboot normally and then gives me back the windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt...
    the cd boot works fine on my working destop computer.

if anybody has an helpful advice it would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to recover some important pictures files from the laptop...

thanks !

my best, francis.

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
    • Experience: Beginner
    Welcome to the CH forums.

The error message indicates that the XP Registry is corrupt.   You will need a genuine version of the XP cd.  MS kb307545 is the reference.

To recover critical files can you remove the hdd and install it on another pc?

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

radmak212

Greenhorn

hey im having the same exact problem and i have the same laptop as you..i have the orgininal recovery cd that came with the toshiba laptop but it still doesnt work.. i keep getting the screen that asks me to run windows in safe mode or last known working configuration etc..ive tried to press C like the cd says but it doesnt work..i tried to change the bios to boot cd but it doesnt work...i tried to get into MS Dos mode but it doesnt let me..basically nothing is working..im thinking about taking my laptop to a computer repair place but that would be last resort..ill keep you updated if i figure it out please let me know if you fix it as well..thanks

-Neal

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      radmak212
      Please, start your own topic.

radmak212

Greenhorn

i already have my own topic and had before i found this one..just wanted to let him know im in same situation

Broni

Mastermind
          • Computer Help Forum
        OK.

fnglover

Topic Starter

Starter

so here I am again...
          I did buy a external case for my corrupted 2"5 HDD from my laptop toshiba...
          I may access every files from it on my desktop computer except the "documents and settings" folder for which "access is denied" !!!
          and, you would have guessed it, the files I want to recover before to attempt a repair on the corrupted HDD are in that specific folder (mainly photographies) !
          if anyone has some kind of clevet idea on this matter, I would be very thankful !

my best, francis.

Broni

Mastermind
            • Computer Help Forum
          You may need take ownership of that folder: http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm