Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer will not power up  (Read 2554 times)

lehighacres

Computer will not power up
« on: October 15, 2008, 01:29:16 PM »
Hi- 

I have a Dell pc from 2004 with Windows XP...last week after a lightning storm (which are very frequent in this part of florida) there was a power surge....the computer made a click sound and blanked out.  The computer and all related power cords were plugged in to a surge protector. 

Now, the computer does nothing when I press the front power button.   I have tried a different power outlet and even a different power cord for the computer....but still nothing.   I don't know what to do and the computer has data that I need. 

Thanks for any help.

ohnowhatdidido

Rookie

Re: Computer will not power up
    « Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 03:23:31 PM »
    I'm certainly no expert, but I wanted to ask---what kind of surge protector were you using?  I ask because most of them have a warranty for things like this, where they promise to replace damaged equipment if the sp didn't work. 

I have no clue about data recovery, only that it IS possible.  You can take it to FireDog at Circuit City, or Geek Squad at Best Buy, and they can recover the data for you.  Or a local place in your area. 

Gosh, I feel bad for you:(  I hope your'e able to get your data.  Maybe it can be done yourself, if you ask on the forums here about it. 

Good luck!

xavier

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 03:45:44 PM »
    Its very poss. that the power supply and the motherboard were taken out. If you want to go and trouble shoot the unit i would replace the power supply first.

usman.sialkot

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:54:12 AM »
    Dear,

1) use voltage regulator when there is continues change in the voltages

2) i think due suddenly change in vlotages, computer get dammaged for this

try another power supply( my be the fuse is dammagaed ) . if same

problem occure then check ur processor becasue when the computer dont

show any thing after hitting power button on cpu it may mean that

processor is dammaged. and if computer shows cmos or bios settings the i

mean that hard disk  is dead

So check these posibilities and then reply  :-\