Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Ubuntu on External Hard Drive  (Read 6017 times)

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Computers, you love and you hate them...
    Ubuntu on External Hard Drive
    « on: October 30, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »
    Hey,

So recently i got an external case for one of my extra hard drives, and after considering what to do with it i decided to put linux on it.

So i installed Ubuntu just like normal, choosing my 80gb external hard drive as the destination, everything works fine.

The problem is that now if i want to start up windows i still need the external hard drive plugged in in order to start it up. Otherwise, it tells me something about grub not being able to load. This sort of defeats the purpose in putting in on an external hard drive so i was wondering what i did wrong. I know people put linux on removable media.

Thanks

Eg0Death

Apprentice

Re: Ubuntu on External Hard Drive
      « Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
      I have no answer but your issue intrigues me.
      Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 06:52:26 PM »
        Alright, here's where i'm at now.
        I found out that at the end of the installation from the live cd you go into advanced and have it install the boot loader on the external hard drive not the main hdd (oops :P)
        The problem is that this still isn't working properly for me. I go into BIOS and i can set it to load from the internal hard drive and it boots up fine, i can unplug the external hard drive and it all works well. When i try to start up linux, though, i go into BIOS and set it to boot off the external hard drive. It starts off looking good, it starts up grub and asks me which operating system i want to use, but then whichever choice i make it tells me there's an error and can't load it.

Am i doing something else wrong now? or should that have just worked?

Anythingwill

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
          Solved! Just posting for the benefit of Eg0Death and anyone else with this problem.
          So what i ended up doing to solve the problem was to remove my internal hard drive (unplug) while i installed Ubuntu onto my external. This way it set it up properly.

I have two theories as to what i did wrong. One, there were two options on my external hard drive as to where to install the boot loader when i went into the advanced option. I may have just chose the wrong one.
          My other theory is that when it asks you to restart after downloading idk if it needs to restart to ubuntu. It restarted to windows at first which may have messed it up. Idk. I got it working so i'm happy.

Eg0Death

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 04:48:47 AM »
            Cool.  Thanks for posting your results.
            Why is this thus?  What is the reason for this thusness?