Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Major Computer Mess-Up, Possibly A System Crash  (Read 2318 times)

Golde

Major Computer Mess-Up, Possibly A System Crash
« on: October 27, 2008, 07:01:56 PM »
I did a search, couldn't find anything...anyway...

I started my computer up one morning, and it froze up on the loading screen. Then I started it up again and it loaded fine, but when I tried to log in, it froze there again. Now, though it hasn't done that again, when I do log on, there are many, many things wrong with it.

This includes the background not appearing or saving, cookies disabled (I think, passwords and history aren't saving, &c), things such as history and screensaver not saving, videos not loading, and me not being able to download programs and such from the internet, icons removed from my screen, and programs such as Gmail chat being removed, even though ones like Skype and Google Earth are still on there, &c.

I also noticed that even though most files are still able to be found via Search, for instance, music files, I cannot really save them anywhere, and Media Player won't even load.

Now, unfortunately, I don't have the disc for my comp. I could try to get another, but I'd like to know if there's another way. I took some advice from friends, and I Defraged it, did a System Restore, cleaned my disc, etc.

Oh, yeah. I have a (I think this is right) 2001 Windows Latitude, made for Windows XP.

That's about all I know. Oh, and can someone also explain how I find out if XP was installed in the factory? Thanks a lot.

Broni

Mastermind
  • Kraków my love :)
    • Computer Help Forum
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
Re: Major Computer Mess-Up, Possibly A System Crash
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »
With so many problems, I'd go for reinstall.
Your Dell should have Recovery Partition: http://www.goodells.net/dellrestore/fixes.htm