Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can i make my pc better?  (Read 4950 times)

Cowz

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Moo
    How can i make my pc better?
    « on: November 02, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
    What can I do to make my computer better for games and such?

Would 32bit-64bit make it faster? If I cant do that; would getting 4G help ?

Dell XPS 420

Windows Vista Home Premium (32bit)
    Intel Core 2duo CPU E6850 @3.00GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT
    3G Ram
    283 Hard drive
    Yes that is me in the avatar.

-Cowz

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: How can i make my pc better?
    « Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:58:30 AM »
    What are you struggling with at the minute?
    That's a pretty good computer and there's not really anything it wouldn't be able to handle IMO - it's only a little less than my computer, and this handles everything I throw at it with ease.
    Also, you might struggle upgrading a Dell . . . sometimes they have proprietary parts, such as cases, motherboards and PSUs, to make it difficult to upgrade.

Cowz

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Moo
      « Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:35:02 PM »
      What are you struggling with at the minute?
      That's a pretty good computer and there's not really anything it wouldn't be able to handle IMO - it's only a little less than my computer, and this handles everything I throw at it with ease.
      Also, you might struggle upgrading a Dell . . . sometimes they have proprietary parts, such as cases, motherboards and PSUs, to make it difficult to upgrade.

Is there anything I can do though just for a little more kick from it?
      Yes that is me in the avatar.

-Cowz

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 02:31:00 AM »
      There's always something you can do.

Your upgrade possibilities, as I see them, with benefits/drawbacks:

SSD instead of HDD - much faster storage - but, very expensive if you want any sort of capacity.
      Faster HDD - faster storage access - but, could be expensive, could also be loud.
      Quad core CPU - faster for multiple tasks or multi threaded programs, the computer will possibly feel more responsive - but, could be expensive, cooling might not cope, motherboard might not support it, PSU might not be up to it.
      Upgraded graphics card - faster 3D performance - but, could work out expensive to get a decent upgrade, cooling probably wouldn't cope, PSU probably wouldn't cope.
      64 bit OS - 64 bit applications will run faster, OS may feel snappier, ability to access more RAM - but, some programs and hardware may be incompatible.
      Upgrade RAM - computer may feel smoother - but, probably wouldn't notice any actual performance increase except on very demanding apps (e.g. working with massive images in Photoshop whilst encoding a video or something) and you'd need a 64 bit OS to use any more RAM.

Does that help?