Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HDD problem  (Read 3489 times)

fireballs

Topic Starter

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
    HDD problem
    « on: November 03, 2008, 04:29:56 AM »
    OK, so i have a 20GB Maxtor HDD, a good 5years old.

I backed up all the important stuff on it to my fileserver, went to storage manager deleted both partitions and formatted it. After formatting it wasn't showing in explorer so i re-lettered it drive G:. It now showed up but wouldn't access it, saying i needed to format it. So i did a quick format but it still wouldn't access the drive.

Anyway gave up on that because what i wanted to do was install windows on it, and seeing as windows was set to format the drive anyway we left it. Now when trying to install windows we get an error message:
    windows could not clean disk 0. the error occured while applying the unattend answer file's <diskconfiguration> setting. Error code: 0x80042453

Long and short of it, i know the drive was working before i deleted the partitions and formatted it the first time. So my only conclusion is that the windows Disk manager has broken it. I looked for other "0x80042453" errors online and some guy said that he had trouble with vista disk manager and formatting, solved by formatting it with XP CD. Does this mean the disk manager in vista doesn't work?!

FB
    Next time google it.