Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows freezing...  (Read 2123 times)

SirScrew

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Windows freezing...
    « on: November 05, 2008, 11:55:15 AM »
    So, I'm running XP Media Center Edition... I have recently installed a linksys wireless adapter (which is not connecting to the internet, just to the router...) Now when I get to the XP login screen or shortly after I login.. my comptuer freezes. I lose mouse/keyboard use as well. Ctrl+alt+del is no good. I have restarted many times and got it to run once.. then when I tried to bring up something, XP froze again. Could someone please help me? Once I get this resolved.. I have to figure out this lame adapter.. Does anyone know if linksys adapters will only connect to linksys routers?

Thanks,
    - Sir Screw -

SirScrew

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Windows freezing...
      « Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 12:30:01 PM »
      I just went into Safe Mode and ran a spy sweep. Caught a few things. Couldn't run virus scan because my virus scan is expired. I haven't used this computer in over 1 1/2 yrs so I am trying to get it up and running again.. Not sure what is going on.. Anyway, after the sweep and reboot.. it still froze.. Before going to the login screen, I am getting a black screen with the underscore _  flashing at the top left.. not sure what is happenning there but it hangs out on that screen for a few seconds then goes to login.. Let me know if you can help.. would be much appreciated.

- Sir Screw -

Broni

Mastermind
      • Kraków my love :)
        • Computer Help Forum
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Windows freezing...
      « Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 10:41:35 PM »
      Can you boot OK, when you're hardwired, instead of using wireless?