Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Double check on components for buiding a computer, please  (Read 2539 times)

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

Double check on components for buiding a computer, please
    « on: November 17, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »
    Hi, all.  I'm in the process of trying to pick components to build a computer from, and I think I have it all tied together.  However, while I've worked with computers a lot, I've never started from scratch, so I'd appreciate another set of eyes.  I'd like the budget to be around $600, and I was using NewEgg for pricing.  Gaming, internet, and I'd like to do some home renovation modeling once I get the software (let's call it light CAD for kicks).

Case:  Apevia X-Telestar-JR (ATX mid-tower) (I keep bouncing on this, but I like how the Apevia's look)
    Motherboard:  ASUS M3A78
    Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ dual core
    Power:  RAIDmax hybrid 2 RX-630SS
    Memory: Kingston 240 pin DDR2 800 (somewhere between 2-4 GB; I can always increase this)
    Video:  Visiontek Radeon HD 3870 PCI express
    Sound:  probably some creativelabs card
    HD:  Seagate Barracuda SATA 3.0 GB/s (I was thinking 80 GB as the boot drive, then maybe add a 250 GB as a second drive)
    NIC: do I need one anymore?  Motherboard looked like it had it included...

I'll keep my 18" LCD for now, and pick up some speakers somewhere.  I feel pretty good about the processor/mboard and the case.  Not sure if the power is oversized, and the video card is a crapshoot.  I already have a copy of Vista 64bit home premium that I will install (new).  If I'm missing anything or have made some serious mis-calculations, I'd appreciate some feedback.  I'm sure I'll be checking in when it comes time to power up too....  Thanks in advance for the help!!

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Double check on components for buiding a computer, please
    « Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 08:49:53 PM »
    Well - I am not the guru on this but - just a few observations.

For video I'd think it best to get an AGP suitable card to gain most benefit for rendering ... as against just a PCI.  A high end Radeon would be good.  (this assumes you'll have a AGP on that mobo).

The PSU power rating cannot really be too high - don't worry on that score.  More is better when it comes to power handling - nothing is ''wasted''!

IMO make the system drive plenty large - so lots of free space - 80Gb should do but more is even better IMO - 100Gb plus I'd choose.  Second drive yeah - sounds OK.

Sound ..... creative usually good - a reasonable soundblaster.

Don't know that mobo - so can't comment.

Don't know the tower but - big is good - more space and chance to add extra fans - always useful.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

hejlik

Hopeful

• Have a GREAT day!!
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:28:01 AM »
      AGP is outdated. PCI express is now the way to go. That setup should perform ok, but will not be good for some of the newer games. You will need a much better video card for that. (not sure what type of games you play. )  I would also just go with 1 large hard drive for starters. You can always add one later if needed.

The Mother board you have listed has on board sound. I would try it before buying a separate audio card. On board sound used to be junk, but that has changed. Many are quite good.
      Dan

No matter where you go    there you are.

ASUS P5B DELUXE, Intel Core 2 Duo E6400, CORSAIR XMS2 4GB DDR2 800, GeForce 7900GS, SeaSonic EPS12V 500W Power Supply, Western Digital Caviar 160GB SATA Hard Drive

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 07:11:21 AM »
      He has selected a PCI-e card already...and the MBoard supports it.... ;D
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:40:47 PM »
        AGP is outdated. PCI express is now the way to go. That setup should perform ok, but will not be good for some of the newer games. You will need a much better video card for that. (not sure what type of games you play. )  I would also just go with 1 large hard drive for starters. You can always add one later if needed.

The Mother board you have listed has on board sound. I would try it before buying a separate audio card. On board sound used to be junk, but that has changed. Many are quite good.

Yeah, I'm kinda hedging the graphics a little.  It's one of those "cost of card vs. will I play the game" type things.  I tend to do more strategy or rpg, and I'm definitely not cutting-edge.  My other thought was that I would really like to have a system that I can basically just keep upgrading for a while.  In this case, I start "basic" with graphics (which is still a far step ahead of what I have now), then maybe add some more RAM, then up the card if I get into video cams or bigger games or whatever.  Good point about the HD, though.  Storage is cheap.  Thanks!

joevh09

Hopeful
          • Yes
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 03:41:28 PM »

NIC: do I need one anymore?  Motherboard looked like it had it included...[/color]

You shouldn'd need one but can you tell us exactly what mobo it there are a lot of Asus M3A78 mobos

mvollmers

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 03:51:40 PM »

You shouldn'd need one but can you tell us exactly what mobo it there are a lot of Asus M3A78 mobos
          [/quote]

the spec that I printed is ASUS M3A78 AM2+/AM2 770 ATX AMD mobo.  I see that it says onboard LAN, so maybe I'm okay.  Don't really know what is out there and if it makes a difference.  Thanks.

joevh09

Hopeful
            • Yes
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 04:30:05 PM »
          You shouldn't need a NIC card then

joefido

Beginner
            « Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 10:56:42 PM »
            You don't need a NIC or a sound card with the M3A78. It comes with 10/100/1000Mbps on board as well as the on-board Realtek ALC1200 sound works great, just be sure to get the most up to date drivers for it from the ASUS website. With your 64bit OS I'd definitely go with 4gb of RAM as DDR2 800 is fairly inexpensive right now and you'll be glad you did when your doing your architecture work. Also, I believe you can run the HD 3870 graphic card in a Crossfire Hybrid arrangement for added graphic support. Also, be sure to download all the updated drivers from ASUS and AMD as well as the Dual-Core Optimizer. Looks like you'll have a great system and for around $600. Nice!