Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Problems  (Read 2595 times)

brent85

Topic Starter

Rookie

Video Problems
    « on: November 19, 2008, 11:17:07 PM »
    Hi.

Yesterday I decided to try the TV-Out function of my 8600GT, but  I couldn't get it working and so I gave up.
    Later on, when I tried to play a video I noticed that there were strange colored dots that formed squares in a chessboard pattern across the video.

The problem also exists in other programs such as Google Earth, Crysis and Half Life 2.

Disabling DirectX from the diagnostic tool, disabling hardware acceleration or uninstalling the NVIDIA drivers and control panel removes the problem in the videos. I haven't had this problem before.

I have the latest version of NVIDIA drivers, and DirectX.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,
    brent85.

brent85

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Video Problems
      « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 12:29:57 AM »
      An example of the artifacts.

They are worse, and different colors in some other applications.

brent85.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 07:58:02 AM »
      Try reverting to the original drivers that shipped with the card.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

brent85

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 03:55:51 PM »
        I uninstalled my current drivers, cleaned with Driver Sweeper and then reinstalled the drivers that came with the card. The same problem still appears.

I have dual boot XP-Vista, and when I booted into Vista the entire screen had the artifacts. It would appear that something as happened to the actual card. Is there anything I could fix, or would you think my card is dead?

Thanks,
        brent85.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 04:29:14 PM »
        If it looks OK in XP and has artifacts in Vista you need to boot to Vista and re-install the Vista drivers for the card.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 05:39:31 PM »
        Well- This sounds like a problem I had with my original Radeon 7000 - I also tried the TV out function, which caused a random reboot and a stretched and strange screen.

Soon afterwards, My 3d applications would crash terribly- the game/app would continue running, but all I would be able to see is a garbled yellow screen.

I could usually recover by quitting the application- HOWEVER- if I did it twice, it irrecoverably corrupted my desktop (cursor was a mishmash of squares, resolution really low, couldn't see anything, just.. a mish mash of squares.

I didn't really do any in-depth troubleshooting, I just ended up replacing the card with a PCI 9250, which I have to say worked ok for that computer.

I still have the card, wether it works, however, is another issue.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

brent85

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:19:47 PM »
          Its not working in either XP or Vista.

I have contacted gigabyte and they have sent me some 'fill the blanks' email about contacting a local distributor.

For now I have disabled hardware acceleration and can do pretty much everything but play games, will have to do for now.

I only got the card a few months ago, I'd say its still under warranty and I'll look into that.

thanks,
          brent85.